Trusted Contributor
We also called them anise cookies in our house, I've only had them with anise (black liquorice flavor). We had biscotti's way before the coffee craze.
Contributor

YUMMMM!

Super Contributor

I make pizzelles all the time (making them tonight actually) but, while I like anise flavor, most people don't so I flavor mine with almond - never so much as a crumb leftover.

Now, then, I'm thinking the OP might be talking about lace cookies which are frequently found in Italian bakeries, often sandwiched with chocolate or white chocolate. Below is my basic recipe, but a friend told me she sometimes orders them online and they have macadamia nuts in them and are half-dipped in white chocolate (and are VERY expensive), so last time I made them, I threw in some finely chopped macadamia nuts (didn't measure, just eyeballed it) and she said they were exactly what she got online. So, feel free to experiment.

LACE COOKIES:

1 stick unsalted butter melted
1 C. oats (not instant)
1 C. granulated sugar
3 T. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Stir everything together in the pot. Drop by teaspoonsful (I use a small cookie scoop) 4" apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. This is important - first time, I didn't pay attention to how far apart I placed them and they all ran together! Bake at 325 until light brown.