Trusted Contributor

Re: Is the nonstick in the Ninja PFOA/PFTE safe?

I had an issue with a few people on the Ninja 3 in 1 site on Facebook today. I ordered the Ninja last night unaware of the coating used in this cooking vessel. When I found out I posted about in on that site. Silly of me I know. I just thought there were others like me who didn't know and would like to know. Well some people called and QVC confirmed it does contain the Harmful Chemicals and some were cancelling their orders. These events caused some devoted Ninja users to call me a liar about these chemicals, saying their not harmful over 500 degrees and calling me a troll. I tried to explain myself and said I meant no harm. I will be cancelling my order because I wasn't informed of what was in this non stick.

Below is what was posted by:

MEMBERS...
I was in contact this afternoon with Ninja for this question: Do you know if the insert is PFOA/PTFE free? Their answer is: In regards to the materials that make up the pot; unfortunately we can’t claim that they are PTFE/PFOA. However, the material is not out of the ordinary for similar non-stick products. It has been tested by the FDA to be food safe as have all of our products and accessories that have food contact. The End!

Valued Contributor

I ordered he TSV and tried to cancel on the same day. It was already in process. Can I refuse delivery? If so, what happens. I know QVC doesn't return the initial shipping.
Trusted Contributor

On 3/11/2015 ThinkOutsideTheBox said: Kathya, if you get a pressure cooker, although most have non-stick pots, there are many replacement stainless steel pots for sale at Amazon that can be purchased and used instead. They are about $30 extra, but for the safety of your birdies, it might be worth it. You have to read the description to be sure it will fit the pressure cooker you want to get before deciding though.

You can purchase these for all brands of Pressure Cookers? How do you search?

Super Contributor

I have 5 parrotts. A cockatoo, blue & gold macaw, yellow naped amazon & a senegal. I have also been using the Ninja 3-4 times a week since the first TSV.

Did not know this about the Ninja pan, and my birds are all in our kitchen/living room combined area. I have not had bird show any sign of a problem. it is a very large, high ceiling area.

My plan is to continue using my Ninja. I do not burn anything in it, and the coating must be heated empty to a very high temperature to release fumes. I love the Ninja!

Trusted Contributor

I cancelled my order for the Ninja. I found something worth sharing. " Heating non-stick cookware to broiling temperatures or above 350 degrees F, releases the PFOA into the air and according to some naturopaths, into your food especially if there is a scratch in your non-stick cookware. Alternative food storage and cooking source suggestions include glassware, stoneware, and enamel coated cast iron".

The things I'm reading are scary to say the least. I have very good cookware All Clad Stainless Steel, Le Creuset, Staub and other cookware that don't contain non stick. I think I will start using these products and get away from non stick all together.

Respected Contributor

I have the Ninja and an African Gray. I've not had any problems but 350 is the highest I usually go. Idont have non-stick cookware unless you count my cast iron skillet.
Respected Contributor

What is PTFE?

And why should I be concerned?

Is it harmful to humans?

Is the coating different on the 3 in 1 compared to this new one?

I really don't understand all of this.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

On 3/11/2015 ThinkOutsideTheBox said: DOES contain PTFE? What the heck? Do companies not get that ingesting carcinogens is just not ok....nor yummy?! Thanks Kathya! I guess I am canceling my order. I will go buy the porcelain potted Lorena Garcia item at HSN instead. It is half the price too.

I don't have the item you are referencing, but I do have Lorena Garcia's ceramic cookware sets. Very happy with them. Clean-up is easy.

Trusted Contributor

I will look into On 3/13/2015 Daysdee said:
On 3/11/2015 ThinkOutsideTheBox said: DOES contain PTFE? What the heck? Do companies not get that ingesting carcinogens is just not ok....nor yummy?! Thanks Kathya! I guess I am canceling my order. I will go buy the porcelain potted Lorena Garcia item at HSN instead. It is half the price too.

I don't have the item you are referencing, but I do have Lorena Garcia's ceramic cookware sets. Very happy with them. Clean-up is easy.

I will surely look into this.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/13/2015 Lotus~ said:

What is PTFE?

And why should I be concerned?

Is it harmful to humans?

Is the coating different on the 3 in 1 compared to this new one?

I really don't understand all of this.

Both the 3in1 and the 4in1 contain PFOA/PTFE. Here is a link to read below.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/teflon-and-perfluorooctanoic-acid...