Trusted Contributor

Re: Is the nonstick in the Ninja PFOA/PFTE safe?

kjae I found this information at Bed Bath and Beyond in their Q/A on the 3in1 Multi Cooker by Cuisinart.

The nonstick coating is called Whitford Quantum 2. This is a ceramic type of coating. It is BPA free. It is also not Teflon.

This is from the Company that makes the non stick.

<h1 class="housewares-subtitle2">Quantum2 for Cookware</h1>

Quantum2 is internally reinforced with a special blend of diverse ceramic materials. It provides a wider window of application tolerances and is more "user friendly". While the adhesion remains outstanding, Quantum2 has a smoother surface appearance and has high gloss. In addition, this system has superb abrasion resistance and oustanding nonstick performance.

Cuisinart 6qt. 3in1 Multi Cooker

<h3>Features</h3>

3 fully programmable cooking functions:
Slow Cook on high, low, simmer or warm for up to 24 hours; includes automatic Keep Warm feature

Brown/Sauté with temperatures up to 400°F

Steam for up to 90 minutes

One touch switches modes when recipe calls for combination cooking

Removable 4-quart nonstick aluminum cooking pot

Extra-large blue backlit LCD display with easy-to-read time and temperature settings

Glass lid with cool-touch handle for clear view and comfortable handling

Dishwasher-safe removable parts for effortless cleanup

- See more at: http://www.cuisinart.com/products/slow_cookers_rice_cookers/msc-400.html#sthash.L05gAuVh.dpuf

Quantum2 is designed for surfaces which require nonstick properties and are subjected to abrasives or high wear.

Quantum2 for Bakeware

Quantum2 for Bakeware is internally reinforced with a special blend of diverse ceramic materials. While the adhesion remains outstanding, Quantum2 has a smooth surface appearance and has high gloss. In addition, this system has very good abrasion resistance and nonstick performance. The outstanding release is provided by silicone, not PTFE. Therefore, Quantum2 for Bakeware can be marketed as “Made without PTFE/PFOA”.

Quantum2 is designed for surfaces which require nonstick properties and are subjected to abrasives or high wear. Quantum2 for Bakeware is ideal for aluminum and phosphated carbon-steel substrates.

Super Contributor

Re: Is the nonstick in the Ninja PFOA/PFTE safe?

On 3/14/2015 Kzeks said:

My daughter only buys stainless steel pots & pans..

Her husband was one of the Scientist who did studies

on non-stick pans... I do not believe the study is

completed but he will not have any non-stick items

in his home... We do use non-stick in our home either..

I hope you can keep us updated when there is more info on the "other" non-sticks. I have a chemist in the family who will not touch it either, or any plastics, for that matter. He says that just publicly removing one harmful chemical doesn't make it safe. Other chems will be substituted, and it will take many years for those to be exposed to the public.

I have parrots and was non-stick free for many years, but now cook in other kitchens so have let down my guard. Maybe I should shape up like the scientists in the know. - Bird