Super Contributor

Re: Is the nonstick in the Ninja PFOA/PFTE safe?

Thank you -- I'm going to check into the Cuisinart cooker.

I want to get a pressure cooker, too, but I need to do more research into which of those are safe, since so many mention non-stick interiors.

Super Contributor

Kathya, if you get a pressure cooker, although most have non-stick pots, there are many replacement stainless steel pots for sale at Amazon that can be purchased and used instead. They are about $30 extra, but for the safety of your birdies, it might be worth it. You have to read the description to be sure it will fit the pressure cooker you want to get before deciding though.
Trusted Contributor

I was wondering about this. I may cancel my order and go with Cuisinart. Quite upsetting.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/11/2015 kathya1119 said:

The nonstick contains PTFE. I called Customer Service before ordering it, and they confirmed it for me.

This is why I didn't buy it...Thanks for confirming for everyone.

Super Contributor

I also cancelled my order. Why can't they give ALL the facts during a presentation?

Contributor

I just canceled my order, too. The first time I'd heard of this issue was when we had an African Gray parrot. I just didn't think about this when I ordered my Ninja yesterday. So glad I looked at the forums today. I'm going to look at the Cuisinart instead.

Super Contributor

On 3/11/2015 ThinkOutsideTheBox said: Kathya, if you get a pressure cooker, although most have non-stick pots, there are many replacement stainless steel pots for sale at Amazon that can be purchased and used instead. They are about $30 extra, but for the safety of your birdies, it might be worth it. You have to read the description to be sure it will fit the pressure cooker you want to get before deciding though.

Thank you -- $30 is definitely worth it. I'm thinking about a Cuisinart 6 quart -- I read a couple of good reviews online.

Super Contributor

On 3/12/2015 snoops said:
On 3/11/2015 kathya1119 said:

The nonstick contains PTFE. I called Customer Service before ordering it, and they confirmed it for me.

This is why I didn't buy it...Thanks for confirming for everyone.

Glad to be of assistance. Maybe if they realize that they're losing business because of this type of non-stick, they'll bring in an alternative. They've done it for various cookware lines, and they make a point of emphasizing the ceramic coating as being healthier.

Honored Contributor

A good rule of thumb would be - if something with a nonstick surface is being sold on a tv shopping channel, that does NOT have the PTFE and that other one, they will be shouting it from the rooftops. There would be no way they would sell a non-PTFE, etc, product without making a HUGE deal about that property.

I use regular nonstick, but I'm careful so there has never been a problem in my household. But people who don't have 100% control over their kitchen (i.e. the husband or kids cook) are better served to not have it at all. I know not to use high heat or put the nonstick in the dishwasher, not to use PAM spray, etc, and use it very safely.

We've only had a bird in our household for about 11 years (he will turn 18 this year), but I made absolutely 100% certain that I was using it safely or I would not have.

A product like this appears to be pretty cheaply made so the nonstick won't be the best. I'd treat it with kid gloves if you plan to use it for years. I don't know how hot this sort of thing gets (I just cook in pans and stuff), but if it is designed to use with high heat that would just be another reason to avoid it.

Super Contributor

Thanks to your responses, I just canceled my order!