Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone else turned off by the twofers, threefers and fourfers?

@loriqvc wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

On the subject of kitchen items, specifically food, I hate that they can't have individual sauce/gravy packets for items they sell that need them.  Not everybody is a family of 4 or 5.  Usually, I want to cook one of the items and would like to have the sauce/gravy each time I cook one.  Luckily, I found some chicken fried steaks at my local grocery that actually does have individual packets of gravy, and a lot cheaper too.  Who knows if they taste as good as the ones QVC sell?  Doesn't really matter to me since I'm getting my steak and gravy each and every time.

@Icegoddess - If you're specifically referring to Heartland Fresh, they actually did offer separate gravy and red sauce packets a couple of months ago—all sold out in a heartbeat, so there's a chance more will be available in the future. In the meantime, as someone who also cooks just one or two of the HF chicken breasts at a time, I will share that the batch of gravy from the packet reheats very nicely in the microwave or on the stovetop, and it easily lasts a week to 10 days in the refrigerator because it's basically just pepper/spices, buttermilk powder, flour, and the water or milk you add. I haven't tried freezing the gravy yet, but I would imagine it would be fine to do so if you want to portion it out.

In response to this whole thread, I agree with the posters who noted that the multiples are specifically geared for gifts and to save the bottom line since many items would be too expensive for both the Q/vendor and the customer in single quantities. As someone who isn't going to really stock up on anything sold on QVC, I understand this and either buy what's offered if I'm really interested or just go elsewhere. Due to the nature of the sales structure, I doubt this approach will ever change around here.

@loriqvc, yes I was talking about Heartland Fresh.  I missed when they had the individual packets.  I question whether you can freeze the gravy once made only because you never find that kind of gravy pre-made.  There must be some reason it doesn't work frozen or in a jar.  

Valued Contributor

@house_catSeveral years ago I bought one of the kitchen shears that they now stick you with having to buy 4 of. I like my 1 pair, but I would have to find some place to stash the other 3 or as they tell you to do give them as gifts to the first person you meet out on the street. 

I don't have what started out as a "gift drawer" to now the "gift closet". I don't run to find a pre-wrapped gift for everyone that comes within 50 feet of my home. And really, who gives gifts to everyone they ever meet?

I may buy 1 item I like, but if you force me to pay for multiples, I'm out.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess - I'm guessing the main reason premade white gravy isn't available is because it has so few ingredients and is ridiculously easy to make from scratch—that's likely why you only see it in packet form where you just add liquid. Most traditional gravies require a meat base, but white/country gravy is just a roux (flour and butter) with some salt and pepper. When I get home tonight, I'll come back and post my simple recipes for white gravy in a skillet and in the microwave in case that would be helpful. Each one takes about five minutes and you can easily tailor the amount of gravy you make to what you're using it on.

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc, aw c'mon, they should cater more to us inept cooks.  I have actually never made gravy before.  I don't cook a lot, but the few things I do cook are quite yummy.  I make a mean batch of mashed potatoes.  

Thanks, I would love the recipe.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@loriqvc, aw c'mon, they should cater more to us inept cooks.  I have actually never made gravy before.  I don't cook a lot, but the few things I do cook are quite yummy.  I make a mean batch of mashed potatoes.  

Thanks, I would love the recipe.

@Icegoddess - When you see how simple the recipe is, you'll just shake your head. And it will be great on your mashed potatoes, too!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

Publix has a lot of BOGO, but you can choose to get only one and they will split the price with you.

@Hoovermom this is a great thing to highlight as maybe folks don't know that stores will charge you the reduced price for one if you don't want/need two which I appreciate and let them know.

Respected Contributor

Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. I passed on their Echo 2-pack because I wanted ONE Echo to replace an older model and had no need for a set because I already have 3 in my one-bedroom apartment. I bought the single Echo I needed from Amazon on Black Friday.

And yes, I could use one kitchen shears, maybe 2 so there's always a clean one available. I don't need 4.

Sometimes I want one Philosophy 32-oz bottle of body wash, but the scent I want might only be sold in a trio with other scents I do not want or already have. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Alison Wonderland - I originally felt the same way about those Kuhn Rikon shears, but I now buy them every year and truly do keep several on hand and have given them as gifts. They work just as well as advertised, so they get frequent use in my office, kitchen, and yard as well as other areas around the house.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Every now and then there has been something sold in multiples where I would love to have one, but it's never something I would give as a gift so I don't purchase because I don't want 2 or 4 or whatever.

Years ago, there was an item that was sold in pairs and i remarked that I wish you could just buy one because I'd like to have one.  Another wonderful poster here had purchased a set and she sent me one of hers.    She was such a lovely, kind person and I feel horribly that I've lost track of her over the years.   I still think of her often.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess - It's gravy time! Let me know if you have any questions...

White Gravy - Stovetop Version

3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 C whole milk

Place butter in a small saucepan over low heat. When it is melted, whisk in flour and salt.* Increase heat to medium and cook mixture until smooth and bubbly. Add milk, whisking or stirring vigorously to avoid lumps. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Keep stirring and boiling for 1 minute. Remove from heat and serve warm over biscuits, chicken, or potatoes.

*Since you probably want to make peppery gravy for your chicken fried steaks, add 1/4 tsp pepper with the salt.  Smiley Happy

Notes:
•If you prefer a thinner white gravy, reduce both the flour and butter to 2 Tbsp.
•If you want to make a cheese sauce instead, follow the original recipe (without the pepper) and just before removing the pan from the heat, stir in 2/3 C freshly shredded cheddar cheese until it is fully incorporated.

White Gravy - Microwave Version

2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 C whole milk

In a microwave-safe 2-cup measuring cup or bowl, melt butter (about 25 seconds). Whisk in flour and salt.* Add half the milk and whisk well, and then whisk in the rest of the milk (you want no lumps). Return cup/bowl to microwave and cook at MEDIUM power for 3 minutes.** Whisk well. Microwave again at medium for 3 more minutes, whisking every minute, until sauce is thickened and smooth.

*For peppery gravy, add 1/8 tsp to 1/4 tsp pepper with the salt.
**You can also turn this version into a cheese sauce by stirring in 1/2 C freshly shredded cheddar cheese after cooking for the first 3 minutes; continue to microwave at medium heat and stir at 1-minute increments until the sauce is smooth and thick.