Esteemed Contributor

Is There A Food You Only Eat...........

during the holidays. I never do a whole turkey during the year.  I might buy a small turkey breast once or twice.

For me, it's rye bread dip.  Oh, and a whole round loaf of fresh rye bread.  Hollow out the loaf, fill with dip and cube the bread you remove, dip the bread. The best dip has dried beef in it.

DD got a small container of plain rye bread dip (no dried beef) and a loaf of rye bread at Wegmans yesterday.  Bad idea.  Too easy to snack on.  Terrible for you but holy moly it's good.

We always limited it to Thanksgiving Day and once over Christmas.

Respected Contributor

Re: Is There A Food You Only Eat...........

I only make turkey at Thanksgiving.  Pretty much the same with cranberry sauce.  We both like it but it is just not something I serve with other meals. except perhaps stuffed pork chops or ham.  

Esteemed Contributor

For me it is pumpkin pie.

I made a test one last week, but the grandkids barely left me enough for breakfast the next day 😂

So we will test out another one tomorrow.  I'm thinking of adding 1 tsp more of sugar.  Yep, that will do it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining  Sometimes in the fall I get an urge for pumpkin.  I will make pumpkin custard and do individual ramekins. No fooling around with a crust.  A small dollop of whipped cream w/cinnamon and I'm good.  I've had it for breakfast too.

Respected Contributor

For NY Eve I buy a cheese ball, and eat a ton of it with snack crackers while watching the Twilight Zone Marathon!

it is the only time I get a cheese ball....otherwise I would weigh a ton!

Honored Contributor

I make candy for the holidays and only eat it seasonally.  One of my favorites is clear toy candy.  I have collected cast iron candy molds and pour the molten sugar in them.

i will admit that there is a lot of waste, because it is difficult to pour hot liquid into an opening the size of a pencil eraser and the sugar sets up and starts to harden quickly ..so I just pour it into a cookie sheet when it starts setting up, so it doesn't harden in the pan. At the end of the night, I break up all of the sugar on the cookie sheet and place small pieces into sandwich size bags.  It looks like a bag of glass.

My grands and friends all like my " seconds" probably more than my perfect candy toys. I found two new molds that I didn't have...so I can add a few more different toys to my collection.

i am attaching a picture of clear toy candy, but I didn't make these.

E28CE8F6-15BD-416E-83F5-B8266572FB9E.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

For me it is pumpkin pie.

I made a test one last week, but the grandkids barely left me enough for breakfast the next day 😂

So we will test out another one tomorrow.  I'm thinking of adding 1 tsp more of sugar.  Yep, that will do it.

Same for me.

Esteemed Contributor

We have lobster tails on Christmas Day and crab legs on New Year's Day - usually the only time we make them (unfortunately). I haven't cooked a turkey in probably 15 years - I leave that up to sons who have us over for TG! Lucky me!! LOL!

Honored Contributor

mincemeat pie. Eat one or 2 pieces a yr.

Honored Contributor

I have friends who eat a slice of Costco pumpkin pie every morning for breakfast while they are available.