Esteemed Contributor

@Desert Lily 

I would have left the cartons in the sink overnight and then poured the melted ice cream down the drain the next day.  But I don't understand why you had to "sanitize" the sink afterwards.  The ice cream wasn't contaminated, just old, right? I would have just sprayed some water around to rinse out the sink. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily ...........What a lot of work and worry you created for yourself.  Just let it melt in the sink, pour it out and run water to rinse.  Why sanitize?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is There A Better Way

[ Edited ]

With liquidy things, or something like ice cream, I put in plastic bags that I've saved from the stores, and then into another sturdy plastic garbage bag.

You could buy smaller sizes of ice cream.

I'm only in the mood for ice cream very rarely, DH, too. So the best thing for us is to get the smaller sizes.

Respected Contributor

Hi, my concern about the melted ice cream in the sink was that it could cause Listeria bacteria. I didn't think I could do a good enough job of just rinsing the sink, so after rinsing I sanitized.

Maybe I worry too much. From now on, I think I'll buy ice cream in a smaller size when I crave it.

Trusted Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

Hi, my concern about the melted ice cream in the sink was that it could cause Listeria bacteria. I didn't think I could do a good enough job of just rinsing the sink, so after rinsing I sanitized.

Maybe I worry too much. From now on, I think I'll buy ice cream in a smaller size when I crave it.

Listeria can be present in unpasteurized foods.  Listeria is killed by pasteurization.  Commercially made ice cream is pasteurized so it was unnecessary to sanitize unless the ice cream was made with unpasteurized ingredients.

The only time I've thrown out ice cream was due to an extended power outage from, say, a hurricane.  Ice cream does not go to waste in my house, lol.

Honored Contributor

Just wondering - why did you discard perfectly good ice cream?  You didn't like the flavors?  Or you decided against the calories?

Honored Contributor

Never found this to be a problem.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I leave the cartons in the sink, when I ice cream is melted I pour down the drain.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is There A Better Way

[ Edited ]

@River Song wrote:

@Desert Lily wrote:

Listeria can be present in unpasteurized foods.  Listeria is killed by pasteurization.  Commercially made ice cream is pasteurized so it was unnecessary to sanitize unless the ice cream was made with unpasteurized ingredients.

The only time I've thrown out ice cream was due to an extended power outage from, say, a hurricane.  Ice cream does not go to waste in my house, lol.

@Desert Lily 

This!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@River Song  There have been recalls due to Listeria in ice cream. In the past they included Blue Bunny, Baskin Robbins, Blue Bell, & Big Olaf. There may have been others. Ice cream can get listeria from factory conditions. And, melted ice cream is a "petri dish" for listeria to grow in.