Respected Contributor

Another successful first time with the I-pot ...

Cooked steaks w/onions & bell peppers tonite.  Delicious! 

I didn't use the timer because the whole process took LESS than 4 minutes.

BTW, I have the "old" one .. a 5-Qt. about 6-7 years old.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Super Contributor

Since someone has mentioned cooking peppers in their instant pot, I gotta ask ... how do you all deal with cooking odors in the silicone ring?  I know there are suggestions to cook sliced lemons in there, but that could get too pricey for this house. Keeping a stock of lemons JUST for de-stinking my silicone ring isn't making it to my budget, sorry!   One of the worse offenders seems to be green peppers. The odor stays in the ring seemingly forever.  

Any other ideas that don't cost a fortune and waste fresh lemons?

Valued Contributor

I guess I'm the odd man out. I ordered one from Kohls. Got it home, looked at it and thought too big for me. It was the one that made yogurt too. Wasn't that impressed so I returned it. Oh well. I'll stick with my old crockpot.  

Contributor

@Anita Hug wrote:

Since someone has mentioned cooking peppers in their instant pot, I gotta ask ... how do you all deal with cooking odors in the silicone ring?  I know there are suggestions to cook sliced lemons in there, but that could get too pricey for this house. Keeping a stock of lemons JUST for de-stinking my silicone ring isn't making it to my budget, sorry!   One of the worse offenders seems to be green peppers. The odor stays in the ring seemingly forever.  

Anita Hug, the ring in my IP always smells like curry. I simply do nothing about it. It does not affect anything else I cook in the IP. The only suggestion I have is to buy a new ring or may be give bottled lemon juice a try. I agree that fresh lemons are expensive. At least they are where I live.

Super Contributor

I might do that.  It hasn't matteres since I mostly use it for supper meals.  I'd like to try to branch out and make a cheescake in it and worry that the odor will transfer to a sweet item. I've tried washing it and soaking with baking soda and those don't help.   Thanks Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I'm still on my original ring of over 2 years. However, I have several other spare rings. One is reserved for desserts ( think cheesecake) and the other as a replacement if something happens to my original ring. Putting it out in the sunlight all day takes out odors.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

OMG!  Just an FYI ---

There's an Instantpot group on Facebook.  They have 173,000 members!

When I joined it was about 5k 

Honored Contributor

@Anita Hug wrote:

I wash mine in the dishwasher and when it’s warm hang it outside, as I’m not cooking anything sweet it’s doesn’t bug me too much 

but u could buy a2nd ring

Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I'm still on my original ring of over 2 years. However, I have several other spare rings. One is reserved for desserts ( think cheesecake) and the other as a replacement if something happens to my original ring. Putting it out in the sunlight all day takes out odors.

Me too