Honored Contributor

Strange. put beans in it , 8 cups of water, turned it on, came on walked off, came back and it had turned off, no lights, no nothing.

Never used it much didn't like it as well as just plain pressure cookers and of course the Ninji is still the best.

It never built up pressure or nothing just dead in the water

Guess I'll pitch it. No more Instant Pots for me

Honored Contributor

@SharkE    Are you sure the plug was pressed completely into the back of the pot?  I've not pressed mine hard enough to have a good connection once or twice. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@SharkE  before you toss it make sure the seal is in place correctly.  This happened to a friend and she actually had forgotten to put it back in after she washed it...just a thought...DW

Honored Contributor

yeah, it had came on when I set it the pressure mode, time and all that was lit up.

I never take the seal out of any of my pressure  cookers. they stretch out and then they fall out when you try to get 'em back in place.

thought it was set up and ready to go so went back to other side of house and did few chores came back and looked at it to see what the countdown was on and it had turned itself off and died. LOL

Respected Contributor

Re: Instant Pot went dead

[ Edited ]

@SharkE   Maybe the float value has a food particle stuck in it.  While it is unplugged take a tooth pick and just stick the pointed end in very gently.  

It also, as some one else said, could be a ring that needs cleaning (I do mine by hand with a Handi wipe and let it air dry.)  

That is why Instant Pot gives you two rings, one red, and one clear so you can use one strictly for savory cooking and the other for all other kinds of pressure cooking, like puddings or baking sweets in a spring form pan.  

If you saute a lot a small amount of food can make it malfunction.  Usually with that you get the dreaded BURN message.  I never use the saute function on any pressure cooker, including the Instant Pot.  I saute and brownn in a skillet and then add to the Instant Pot.

Did you try plugging it in at a different outlet in a different room on a different circuit?  You can have a circuit flip without knowing it because a light switch can sometimes change an outlet to off for one of the multi outlet plug receptacles.  You can think an outlet is dead when it isn't.  Take a small lamp and plug it in to the outllet you were using.  If it lights flip the wall switch while the light is on to see if it goes dead when you do that. Or, if it doesn't light up flip the wall outlet switch and see if that reactivates the circuit.

If you had it plugged into a GFCI outlet press the red button to see if that works.  If it keeps flipping to off you need to get an electrician to look at it.

Sometimes the fix for an outlet is hidden in a weird plaace like a garage, utility room, or whatnot. 

An fuse that is inside the pot itself may have blown. You can have too many things going at once and that can flip the circuit to off. An electrical appliance repair shop can safely fix/replace that fuse for you fairly inexpensively.

I would double check that the attachment cord really was in the pot outlet, someetimes you thinnk it is connected properly but it slips and the cooker shuts off.

If all else fails, call the Instant Pot customer service:

1-800-828-7280

For me, it's too expensive to just throw away.

Anyway, hope some of these ideeas will help you.  Best of luck that you find the solution.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

Re: Instant Pot went dead

[ Edited ]

Well I'll be switched ! It was that stupid child proof 3 prong cord that plugs in the back had either fell off or was to loose  to make connection

when I picked it up to get rid of it it was still plugged in the wall but the drop away cord fell out.

Put in some water and pressure cooked it for 2 minutes and it's fine and dandy now.

I thought it was a permanent plug in like my old stuff this child proof stuff

thanks you all saved me 100 bucks !

Honored Contributor

@SharkE   That was my suggestion that you couldn't even acknowledge.   Very strange. 

Honored Contributor

Well, I did now LOL

gel thank you.gif

Honored Contributor

You're very welcome. 

Trusted Contributor

All is well that ends well!

I have put the ring in the freezer when it doesn't fit well for about 30 minutes, it fits again. I use my IP weekly. I take the ring off after each use so it doesn't get moldy.