Esteemed Contributor

Who posted the Wedding Cookies a while ago? I used that recipe, but my dough would not roll into those 1" balls for nothing!

So, I dumped all the cookie batter crumbs into 2 9x9 pans and baked them into 2 big blocks. After they came out of the oven, I sprinkled the powdered sugar all over the top, then cut them into thin bars.

They are good and all, but honestly!

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? The only difference I did was to add some pure almond extract, along with the vanilla.

Wedding Cookies:

16 tbsp softened butter

2 cups powdered sugar

2 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 cup almond flour

2 1/4 cups flour

Beat butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt in big bowl with electric mixer.

Beat in almond flour.  Beat in flour.

Roll into 1" balls and place an inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheet.

Bake at 325 degrees until edges start to lightly brown, 15-20 minutes.

Let cool for a few minutes.

Roll warm cookies in dish of 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar.  Place on rack to cool.

Re-roll cooled cookies in dish of remaining powdered sugar until completely coated.     

Honored Contributor

@Harpa   I dd not post the recipe but what you posted looks similar to my recipe.  Yes, the dough is a bit dry but I always work the dough a bit to make sure the butter is well worked into the dough, that seems to soften up the ingredients making it easier to roll,

Honored Contributor

@Harpa   Could you have possibly used teaspoons instead of tablespoons of butter?  It's the glue that holds them together. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Harpa   Could you have possibly used teaspoons instead of tablespoons of butter?  It's the glue that holds them together. 

2 sticks = 16 tablespoons.

Valued Contributor

Re: Cookie Blocks

[ Edited ]

@Harpa 

My recipe I've made since I was 10 when it appeared in the San Antonio newspaper in the 60's. I've made this everywhere I've lived, no matter, regular/high altitude and sea level.

The recipe you made is different than mine. It might be too much powdered sugar (probably not) in the dough or too much flour.

1 cup butter

1/2 cup powdered sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 3/4 cup flour

1/2 cup chopped nuts (or sub chocolate morsels)

Cream butter and sugar. Work in vanilla, then flour, then nuts. Shape into small balls. If dough is sticky, chill for several hours. (I use a small cookie scoop like and ice cream scoop). Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (I use parchment now for all cookies). When cool, roll in more powdered sugar.

3-4 dozen

Esteemed Contributor

@Nomore 

Thank you for posting your recipe! Yes, less flour!

IF I were brave enough to try these again, I would definitely cut the flour. Not the almond flour, though. I'll just watch the mixture more carefully when adding the white flour.

I actually did cut the blocks into nice little cookies and put them in a tin.

Honored Contributor

I would have added more moisture, maybe a tablespoon of water or more butter a little at a time until the dough would hold together.

You have to be careful when baking.  Flour should be weighed to be accurate.  If no scale. Pour flour into a big enough container to fluff if up.  Lightly soon into a measuring cup and lightly level it off.  Never pack the flour into a measuring cup.

I am glad you got great cookie bars and didn't waste the dough.  Good thinking.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cookie Blocks

[ Edited ]

That is my recipe that you used.  It has always worked out delicious for me.  You mix only 1/2 cup powdered sugar in the batter.  The other 1 1/2 cups is used to roll the baked cookies in.  I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you.

Edited to add:  The flour should equal 9.5 ounces.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

That is my recipe that you used.  It has always worked out delicious for me.  You mix only 1/2 cup powdered sugar in the batter.  The other 1 1/2 cups is used to roll the baked cookies in.  I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you.

Edited to add:  The flour should equal 9.5 ounces.

@deepwaterdotter 

Sorry I messed up your recipe! But the little blocks I made out of the bigger blocks still taste good! (I just had a few for a snack.)

And yes, I was a little surprised about the 1/2 cup 10x sugar, which I did use in the batter.

Honored Contributor

we called them russian teacakes---and if you added ALL the pwd sugar --that woud be a problem and never heard of adding almond flour either.