Trusted Contributor

Instant Pot Sous Vide ?

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone!

Recently I came across a reference to an Instant Pot model I didn't know about before. It's an Instant Pot SV, for Sous Vide. It doesn't have a dial like the Ultra does. I only mention the Ultra because I've read that the Ultra setting can be used for Sous Vide.

Those of you with Instant Pots that can do sous vide, what are your experiences - good, bad, ugly? Are you pleased with the accuracy and the results?

Does anyone here know about the SV model, and how it might compare to the Ultra - or the Max? I have the Duo 6 qt but have to confess that I'm getting an itch to upgrade, just don't know what model to upgrade TO. But I am curious to explore sous vide for cooking meat.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Trusted Contributor

I didn't know there was a sous vide IP. I have a Curtis Stone (HSN) sous vide stick and an happy with that. To me, the more functions an appliance has, the more likely it will break. I just use my IP as a pressure cooker. I tried to bake in it once, but the cake tasted like a steamed pudding, which it essentially was.  I will be curious to see the responses you get.

Super Contributor

Contact the Instant Pot company with all of your questions. They're very good about responding.

Trusted Contributor

They are having this model with the sous vide function as a TSV in a few days. I got the preview presale email. I wish I didn't have one already or I would have gotten it. Since I already have a sous vide stick from Curtis Stone, I don't need it, but will be watching the demos.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't trust it as a sous vide.  You can't monitor the temperature and it doesn't circulate the water I don't think like the real sous vide does.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Instant Pot Sous Vide ?

[ Edited ]
  • Hello Sooner, yes I hear you. I think I'll check the temperature of the water in a couple places to get a feel for accuracy, and decide from there.

[ Edited ]

Who was the lady that was demonstrating the Instant Lot with Rick? Does she have a cookbook for the Instant Lot and could I purchase it? 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kumla, the cookbook that was shown with the Instant Pot is by Lisa Brady and is called Instant Pot Basics (F13835). It seemed like it sold out on Sunday, but they may have gotten more. I got the book and have several recipes I want to make, and the directions are clearly written for beginners.

And, welcome to the discussion boards, but it is not a good idea to list your personal email and name, so you may want to edit your post and remove that.

Occasional Contributor

Fast forward to October, 2019. and IP has several models with sous vide:
refreshed Duo Plus  (In colors, from QVC)

refreshed Viva   (in colors)
Duo SV 6qt at Costco
Ultra
Max
new Duo Evo Plus (that might be the replacement fro the Ultra?)

Magic Chef sold by Home Depot has also added a new black pressure cooker that has sous vide.  I owned the previous Magic Chef and it was made by Midea who makes Instant Pot, and was almost an IP Duo.  If you catch a good sale on the Magic Chefs, they're an excellent value.

I bought the new QVC Duo Plus 6qt bundle in Sept, when it was TSV.   Then I saw the awesome new Duo Evo Plus and managed to grab one of those.  So I have had my early Christmas already and the party is over and it's time to go back to work.    lol
I debated whether to get the 6qt Evo or wait a couple weeks for the 8qt.  Decided I'd probably use a 6qt much more than an 8qt, so 6qt it is.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

[quote]   I wouldn't trust it as a sous vide. You can't monitor the temperature and it doesn't circulate the water I don't think like the real sous vide does.  [/quote}

^  This.  I lucked into clearance sous vide circulators for only $13 at Walmart around this time last year.  The immersion circulators control temperature within 1 degree F, and they heat up the water really fast.  They circulate, which avoids hot and cold spots and helps all packets of food to cook evenly.   An 800w sous vide stick can handle 3 quarts of water, and a 1000W stick can handle 1 gallon.   Sous vide packets must remain immersed in water, can't rest on bottom of the pot, must remain separated from each other, and water somehow has to be be able to flow between packets.   A pressure cooker, even an 8qt, is just too darned cramped to do, say, 3-4 good size steaks at once.   But a tank or a large stock pot with a rack to hold the food packets can certainly cook 4 steaks at once.    There are just a whole lot of reasons why a bona fide sous vide apparatus is better than the "pseudo vide" of any electric pressure cooker.   That said, the pressure cookers can passably sous vide a couple portions of something, and are very portable if you want to travel or you are living in an RV.   For years, though, I determined to never pay a premium price to get "pseudo vide" in a pressure cooker.   The recent TSV pricing was too good to pass up, cinsidering my IPs were all 2017 vintage and I thought it might be good to buy at least one newer one if I could catch a good deal.