Respected Contributor

Instant Pot Question - Saute

I'm trying to saute bacon for potato soup and the darned thing quites sauteing.  I've finished the bacon in the microwave and did the sausage in the pot.  That sauted, but why did the bacon not work.  I did the both on normal, but then turned the sausage to high, but still....it shouldn't have stopped even though it said it was working?

Respected Contributor

Re: Instant Pot Question - Saute

The user manual says that the maximum operating time for one saute cycle is 30 minutes. The cooker beeps and goes to keep warm. You would have press saute again to continue to saute.

Valued Contributor

I was going to say the same thing about the 30 min. timer.  Just punch the button again and you shouldn't have any more problems.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

I'm trying to saute bacon for potato soup and the darned thing quites sauteing.  I've finished the bacon in the microwave and did the sausage in the pot.  That sauted, but why did the bacon not work.  I did the both on normal, but then turned the sausage to high, but still....it shouldn't have stopped even though it said it was working?

Oh good gravy @Tigriss I agree with the previous posters.  At first I was a bit confused as I always saute the bacon first so the sausage renders in the bacon fat so to be honest I have never had this problem as they both seemed to finish within the first 30 minute timeframe . . . thanks to everyone for their experience with this!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I realize there is a time. It isn't a timer question. The timer still had time left on it. It would cook for about 10 minutes and then go cool. Any other help there? Also, has anyone used the SOUP function? I wonder if that would be better than just doing it with an open pot an the low saute doing the simmer. Does the soup pressure cook?
Trusted Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

Perhaps I am confused, but when you saute, are you pressing the saute button or some other buton on the ma hine?  If you press saute, it should get hot and then stay on for 30 minutes.  If you are pressing another button, it will turn off sooner because pressure is not building in an open pot.

Super Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
I realize there is a time. It isn't a timer question. The timer still had time left on it. It would cook for about 10 minutes and then go cool. Any other help there? Also, has anyone used the SOUP function? I wonder if that would be better than just doing it with an open pot an the low saute doing the simmer. Does the soup pressure cook?

It sounds like you were using the wrong setting. The saute setting on high should do a fine job of sauteeing your bacon and sausage. If 30 minutes doesn't give you sufficient time, press saute again after 30 minutes has passed. Also before you start to saute wait for the panel to say "Hot" before starting to saute.

I haven't used the soup function. I simply press Manual and set the cooking time I want. However if you use the Soup function or Manual function, lock the lid and make sure the control is not at the Venting position, the soup will pressur cook. Would the Soup setting be better than using an open pot on low setting doing the simmer? Why would you want to do that? Isn't your goal using the Instant Pot to PRESSURE cook. Yes using the Soup setting, the soup does pressure cook. If all you want to do is simmer your soup without pressure, use a regular pot.

Valued Contributor

@Razzy 7 wrote:

@Tigriss wrote:

It sounds like you were using the wrong setting. The saute setting on high should do a fine job of sauteeing your bacon and sausage. If 30 minutes doesn't give you sufficient time, press saute again after 30 minutes has passed. Also before you start to saute wait for the panel to say "Hot" before starting to saute.

I haven't used the soup function. I simply press Manual and set the cooking time I want. However if you use the Soup function or Manual function, lock the lid and make sure the control is not at the Venting position, the soup will pressur cook. Would the Soup setting be better than using an open pot on low setting doing the simmer? Why would you want to do that? Isn't your goal using the Instant Pot to PRESSURE cook. Yes using the Soup setting, the soup does pressure cook. If all you want to do is simmer your soup without pressure, use a regular pot.

Or you can saute your meat, then turn it off, then turn it onto slow cook, cover, and let it simmer that way...if you don't want to pressure cook your soup.  That's what's nice about the IP is that it gives you plenty of options,

Also if you continue to have your IP go cool, it may be a fuse within the pot.  I would contact their customer service .  They should be able to figure out your problem for you.  Good luck..

Respected Contributor

I was using the saute function the entire time I was trying to fry the bacon.  I plugged it in, pressed saute, and put the bacon in.  I got going well but about 10 minutes into the cooking it got less and less frying bubbling until it was just there.  I turned it off, unplugged it, and waited 30 seconds or so, then plugged it up, hit sautee and it got bubbling for about 10 minutes.  Then repeat.  I finished it in the microwave.  While I got that going, I turned it off, got the bacon in the microwave going, and then cut the sausage.  I turned it to saute, pressed the adjust button to more so it was on high heat, and put the sausage in.  It was fine from there.  I don't know if the frying bacon tipped the temp over the "normal" setting and auto safety off or something.  All I know is I got it cooked.  

I did use andouille sausage and bacon and that was all I used for seasoning.  It doesn't need any more than that.  I will use less andouille next time.  It is a bit strong for my stomach, GERDS, but boy is it good!  I do suggest even on low simmer, you need to watch a cream based soup to not scorch.  I do like the idea of doing it from saute to low or high slow cook to cook it with a lid on.  I haven't had it long, so using these non-PC functions takes some getting used to .  Thanks for all the help!