Honored Contributor

Re: If you eat fried chicken out, where do you go??

On 7/12/2014 okaywitheasypay said:

KFC. I fell in love with the way the old southern gentleman prepared it in his converted gas stations ( I was a baby{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} er adolescent ) We only buy it a few xs a year but it is still pretty good if we hit a store that is professional. Love the breast , mashed potatoes, and I have never found better slaw! I have tried 'knock off' recipes for the slaw at home but never have duplicated it!

I used to feel this way about their slaw, but I discovered the Neeley's slaw on the Food Network, and think it is better. I recently ate the KFC again after years of not, and though it is good, I now prefer the other, which is sweeter and spicy.

Trusted Contributor

Popeye's spicy fried chicken (you have to order "spicy") is hands down the BEST fast food fried chicken! Crispy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside, with just the right kick of spiciness in the coating. They also have delicious coleslaw, biscuits, and other sides, and I love that you can order pickled jalapenos and Louisiana hot sauce to kick up the spiciness if you like it hot. It's fortunate I don't have a Popeye's located near my home, or I'd probably eat the stuff two or three times a week. It's that good. I live in Atlanta, so there are many traditional restaurants here that serve good fried chicken. One old favorite is the Colonnade on Cheshire Bridge Road. Another is Mary Mac's on Ponce de Leon. There are many, many more.

Trusted Contributor

On 7/11/2014 AnikaBrodie said:

Back in the 1960s a local PA businessman started a small restaurant called Farmer's Best and his feature meal was Broasted Chicken. This was the first time anyone in our area had heard of chicken prepared that way. It soon became a huge hit. Several years later, he sold the restaurant and built a new one called Country Cupboard.

His children and grandchildren now own the restaurant and they still serve the Broasted Chicken from his original recipe. They serve relish, pumpkin muffins and homemade rolls with each meal and offer two sides to every entrée. Their desserts are delicious. They also have a buffet and it always includes broasted chicken among many other entrees offered. The restaurant has expanded several times and now has a number of gift shops, bakery, greenhouse, etc.

Oh wow. Your area is also my area! I am very familiar with both Farmers Best and with Country Cupboard. Their layered white coconut cake is a staple for us at Easter and for Christmas dinner. Their broasted chicken is quite good; we don't go there often, but a couple times a year.

Respected Contributor

If you have a Lowes Foods near you, they have an 8 pc Fried Chicken for $6.99. Can't beat that price. My Mom gets her chicken there for her monthly Joy Club meeting.

Super Contributor

On 7/11/2014 DiamondGirly said:

We are trying to figure out if we were given the SPICY Popeye's on our 1st visit, or is their MILD chicken a bit hot/spicy to begin with? It had a bite to it.... We didn't specify which we wanted, since we didn't know there was a choice... :/

IMO, Popeye's regular chicken is a bit spicy and their hot/spicy is quite spicy. My GS loves chicken tenders but he won't eat at Popeye's chicken.....even the regular is too spicy for him.
Honored Contributor

I really like KFC, as well as Kroger and Wal-Mart deli chicken. There is also a small country diner in a local county that serves delicious crispy fried chicken, and once or twice a year we'll make the drive there to enjoy "fried chicken like our Grandma's used to make". The chicken is cooked in huge cast iron skillets, and they make gravy from the crispy bits left in the skillet. Eating that chicken dinner reminds me so much of Sunday dinner at my grandparents house in the 1960's.

Respected Contributor

I know this is probably uncouth to many city people, but in the south where there are towns with no restaurants, we have gas stations, locally owned, that serve up lunches and dinners. Fried chicken is a daily staple. We have one that is totally awesome and serves the best food in everything they serve, even the chitlins, which are prepared properly! Their fried chicken is the best and all nice, crunchy and not greasy at all.

Oh, don't get me wrong. We have a KFC, a Zaxby's, and several local places that fry chicken including our grocery store delis, but places with local cooks, local ingredients, freshly prepared and all is the best.

Respected Contributor

On 7/11/2014 spix said:
On 7/11/2014 Gooday said:
On 7/11/2014 spix said:

Just as Jules said, White Fence Farm, just outside of Chicago, sounds exactly the same, wonder if it's the same owners? we go every Mother's Day, really really good!

We have been there and JMO - I don't get the attraction. The coleslaw had NO flavoring whatsoever. The corn critters however, were good. Not worth the drive.

We do like Brown's chicken though.

Sorry you had a bad experience there

It's not that it was a bad experience and they do pack the people in so, people like it. DH and I both thought it was just okay (the chicken that is). I am a coleslaw lover and I like all different types from creamy to sweet and everything in between. WFF's was shredded cabbage and some vinegar and sugar - nothing at all to write home about.

Again, I would take KFC or Browns, even a reputable Popeyes. Our Jewel store makes excellent chicken as well.

I think White Fence Farm is about the ambience as well, especially at Christmas when it is all lit up.

Regular Contributor

On 7/12/2014 tigriss said:

I know this is probably uncouth to many city people, but in the south where there are towns with no restaurants, we have gas stations, locally owned, that serve up lunches and dinners. Fried chicken is a daily staple. We have one that is totally awesome and serves the best food in everything they serve, even the chitlins, which are prepared properly! Their fried chicken is the best and all nice, crunchy and not greasy at all.

Oh, don't get me wrong. We have a KFC, a Zaxby's, and several local places that fry chicken including our grocery store delis, but places with local cooks, local ingredients, freshly prepared and all is the best.

You are correct! We are in the South too and let me tell ya...we LUV US SOME ZAXBY'S! ( I know that wasn't grammatically correct..lol).{#emotions_dlg.lol} I worked @ the first one that opened up in Bowling Green, Ky when I was in college and fell in love instantly!

We recently discovered fried chicken from Dodge's Store. OMG....So good and crispy! They have spicy wings that will set your mouth on fire! Their pieces are so meaty. We used to get chicken from Walmart deli, but stopped several years ago bc their pieces were so small, they were laughable!

Dodge's Chicken(and other assorted goodies you can get there).

Dodge’s Fried Chicken and Gasoline

Respected Contributor

On 7/11/2014 AnikaBrodie said:

Back in the 1960s a local PA businessman started a small restaurant called Farmer's Best and his feature meal was Broasted Chicken. This was the first time anyone in our area had heard of chicken prepared that way. It soon became a huge hit. Several years later, he sold the restaurant and built a new one called Country Cupboard.

His children and grandchildren now own the restaurant and they still serve the Broasted Chicken from his original recipe. They serve relish, pumpkin muffins and homemade rolls with each meal and offer two sides to every entrée. Their desserts are delicious. They also have a buffet and it always includes broasted chicken among many other entrees offered. The restaurant has expanded several times and now has a number of gift shops, bakery, greenhouse, etc.

what part of Pa is this in? We had a health food store, still have the store but no restaurant part anymore, that use to have a small eating place added and served only broasted chicken and fresh salads. We ate there at least 2 or 3 times a month.