Respected Contributor

ITKWD just now. Poor presentation.

Okay, Husband and I are watching David and Geoff K.  demo the upright mandolin. It says it is 6in1.  They only demoed 3 cuts that I could identify. slice, dice, julian. What are the other 3?  It looks somewhat interesting, Geoff had a bit of a miff when slicing. Hurky jerky when pumping the blade.  If an item lists a number of features, I want to see them all.  Poor presentation David.

Honored Contributor

Re: ITKWD just now. Poor presentation.

Respected Contributor

Yep, read that before I posted. Still doesn't state what the 6in1 cuts are.

@SharkE wrote:

This might tell

https://www.qvc.com/Geoffrey-Zakarian-Safe-Slice-6-in-1-Upright-Mandolin.product.K48986.html?sc=IROA

all now on waitlist !

Honored Contributor

I recorded show and watched late.  Was tempted by the mandolin.  Guess now I'll wait for reviews.   I have one in my cart at Amazon, but don't know if this one would be better.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm guessing this item was selling so quickly that they had to cut the presentation time short; if you check it out on the website, there's a video showing all the functions.

Honored Contributor

Chef Tony's I always thought was good, but, nothing cuts red and green peppers. Other day I had trouble with carrots, looking for an alternative to the chef Tony one.

It's good for soft vegetables like potatoes, onions.

Noticed he never sliced the tomatoes!!!

Honored Contributor

Well, it doesn't exactly dice.  You have to first do a matchstick cut and then put them back through for the dice.  I might use it for the matchstick, but then I'd just use a knive to finish the dice rather than resetting the blades.  I didn't consider the matchstick fries what I call matchstick fries.  Whe I think of matchstick, I'm thinking McDonald's.  These were much thicker, but maybe the thickness setting would give me what I want.  Looks like even julienne is a two step process.

The other thing that bothers me is the size of the chute limits the size fruit or veggie.  We get some pretty big onions around here that wouldn't fit in that little chute.

Honored Contributor

I don't think they showed how it stores.  I assume you can store it flat.  I don't want any more stuff that takes up a lot of room.  I just don't have the space.

Trusted Contributor

I would not waste my money on this.  It sure didn’t look like it sliced very easy.