Trusted Contributor

I keep getting black specks on the bottom of my Brita pitcher. What are alternate products?

I'm tired of getting black specks on the bottom of my Brita pitcher. It seems I have them no matter how old my filter is or how gently I run the water to refill the pitcher. What are other alternate products I can purchase? Thanks for any info.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

Re: I keep getting black specks on the bottom of my Brita pitcher. What are alternate products?

Those black specs are probably harmless specs of charcoal, and most water filtration devices use charcoal in some form. Personally, I like the Pur water filter that is affixed to my tap, but we go through those so quickly. We are installing a three stage filter under the sink. We have one on our frige for the ice maker and the water. Both ice and water taste great and you only have to change the filter once a year. Aside from the black specs, if you are happy with the quality of the water your Brita gives you, reconsider replacing it. I believe it's the Christian Scientists that do not allow medical intervention, but they use activated charcoal for everything from dental hygiene to wound infections, and it's pretty amazing in terms of the scope of what they treat. It's not my cup of tea and I would seek medical intervention, but activated charcoal will not hurt you. Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

Re: I keep getting black specks on the bottom of my Brita pitcher. What are alternate products?

I use a Brita pitcher also and don't have a problem with black specs…..after the initial "conditioning". Whenever I use a new filter, I follow the directions about soaking it for awhile and then running a pitcher or two of water. After that, everything seems fine.

Honored Contributor

It's the activated charcoal .... which absorbs intestinal gas and is sometimes used in treatment for accidental poisoning.

I used to get this if I took the new filter out of the package and placed it right in the holder. Now, I soak the filter overnight in a glass of water and rarely get any specks.

You can always rinse it out .... and I doubt you place the pitcher on your dining room table, so you don't have to worry about appearance.

No biggie. Cool

Esteemed Contributor

I also use the Brita pitcher and never get black spots. I soak the filter in water for 15-20 minutes and then insert it in the pitcher. Fill the pitcher once or twice and empty it.

Trusted Contributor

Are you following the soaking and rinsing process as directed in the manual? I have used these pitchers for years and never had this issue.

Honored Contributor

I usually get a few charcoal specs in the upper pre-filter portion and very few at the bottom, but I don't worry about them. You can buy activated charcoal caplets as a food supplement, so a small speck in my water won't hurt. It's good for you.

Trusted Contributor

When you fill the pitcher, make sure the faucet isn't running water directly over the filter. That pressure will force charcoal into the pitcher. Make sure the water is directed to the side of the filter.

Respected Contributor

YOu can purchase activated charcoal in pill format and take it. Some say it helps to absorb the toxins in your body.....

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for all the replies, they were really informative. I do soak my filter as directed.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*