Respected Contributor

Re: I Put Hot Sauage, Peppers & Onions............

@CrazyKittyLvr2 ~ I love sausage, peppers and onions, and make it quite often.  I use a 9 x 13 glass lasagna pan, and sometimes add cut up potatoes, mushrooms and cloves of garlic into it.  Such a great ‘comforting’ meal.  I hope you enjoyed your sausage/pepper/onion sandwich.  I love it in a hoagie roll.  

😋 Mmm

Esteemed Contributor

@Free2be   I only put salt and pepper on the peppers and onions as the hot sausage is seasoned enough.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

That sounds really good. My mil makes that sometimes and when there's extra she will put it in dough and make pigs in a blanket. 

Honored Contributor

I make a recipe for sausages, peppers, and onions in my Crockpot.  First microwave peppers, onions, tomato paste, oil, and garlic to soften.  Then toss them in the Crockpot with some chicken broth.  Add sausages and cook on low for about 2 1/2 hours until tender.  

Esteemed Contributor

Put a piece of parchment paper the peppers and veggies and no spatters, no mess at all.

Works great when cooking bacon in the oven!  No mess!  My kind of cooking!

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Put a piece of parchment paper the peppers and veggies and no spatters, no mess at all.

Works great when cooking bacon in the oven!  No mess!  My kind of cooking!

@Zhills  concerning the parchment paper, when cooking BBQ chicken in the oven, can you also use it? I have always had parchment paper but never used it.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04  I use parchment paper in the oven all the time. Works great for everything I have used it for.

Respected Contributor

I have not had any red meat for 6 months until today and it's all your (group) fault that I had to try this divine sandwich after reading here.  I had everything to make it, sausage and rolls in the freezer, red bell pepper and onion in the fridge.  I added a small minced garlic clove and a little Turkish oregano with S&P.  OMG, so good.   I toasted the rolll in the air fryer before loading it.  When my doc gives me the green light to widen my diet again, I'll definitely make this again but once in awhile.  I can see how it could be habit forming. 

Thanks for the push to be bad, it was so good!

@deepwaterdotter While I was looking for ideas online about what and how to make it, I noticed that Trisha Yearwood's recipe ingredients are similar to what you put together.  I didn't want to open a carton of broth for one sandwich and my tomato paste was frozen in one chunk so I went with something more simple -- but I liked the idea of some tomato flavor adhering to the filling.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Sage04  I use parchment paper in the oven all the time. Works great for everything I have used it for.

@proudlyfromNJ  thanks very much for responding. I've always been afraid to use it in the oven. Now I know what to do with the two rolls that I have. 

Honored Contributor

Did you leave the sausage whole or slice it?

If you left it whole by the time it was cooked wouldn't the peppers and onions be mushy?