Respected Contributor

Re: I Put Hot Sauage, Peppers & Onions............

I have never had such a sandwich.  How do you season it?

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

I have never had such a sandwich.  How do you season it?

@Free2be  I don't use any seasoning except maybe salt and pepper. The ingredients themselves have enough taste for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I make sausage/peppers/onions about once a month when one son is here for dinner but not on sandwiches. I put it over mashed potatoes or sometimes buy a can of small potatoes and cut them into bite size pieces and serve it like a soup. I make it on the stovetop and add about a cup of chicken broth to give it a little extra juice. Also salt/ pepper & some dried basil. And we like it better with Cubanella peppers rather than regular ones. 

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  Thanks, I thought that might be so but then I thought maybe Italian seansonings might be used, or a dash of something like a steak sauce or worcestershire or who knows.  If I made one, I'd use a mild sausage because I am a wimp but it does sound delicious.

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  Thanks, I thought that might be so but then I thought maybe Italian seansonings might be used, or a dash of something like a steak sauce or worcestershire or who knows.  If I made one, I'd use a mild sausage because I am a wimp but it does sound delicious.

@Free2be  I use mild sometimes also. Italian seasoning would be good. I wouldn't use the others.

Esteemed Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

@Free2be 

I just use Italian sweet sausage, never used Hot sausage. 

Honored Contributor

No, but I used to buy Philly Steak sandwich kits that we loved. Got them through a school fundraiser called Market Days. Haven't seen them in several years.

Honored Contributor

I make sweet Italian sausage ( or hot) with peppers, onions and tomato purée cooked together to the flavors meld.

I just made this this week.  I make more than I need and store it in the fridge or freezer. I only have to warm this up and toast the rolls to serve.

When we have family summer picnics,  I make it ahead of time and keep in warm in a crock pot.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Peppers and onions....my favorite,....sometimes add scrambled eggs

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom   I never heard of those rolls.  Where do you get them?  Are they available at Wegmans?

@CrazyKittyLvr2  They are a Philly thing, but I would think they might have found their way to NE Penna. They aren't as good as fresh from the Italian Market, but they are what most of buy when we can't buy those.