Honored Contributor

I have not used those in years.

My sister makes Dressing with the Jiffy cornbread mix. She uses more milk or buttermilk than it calls for. It's really moist. She adds it to this recipe.

Dressing.PNG

Frequent Contributor

Jiffy website has recipes.  Online cookbook too 

Occasional Contributor

Definitely check out their website.  They have all kinds of mixes not always carried in stores.  Their pizza dough is great.  I use the big box of Jiffy mix lnstead of Bisquick for pancakes, waffles and biscuits.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I associate cornbread with poor people.  Especially back in the day.

In this house, we make cornbread to go with a pot of beans and that's it.  We don't just eat it by itself or with any other meal.  Chili requires crackers.  So that's why we would never put sugar in it. 

Corn muffins are seldom made by us, but they are muffins.  Muffins have sugar in them

When I make corn bread sometimes I bake it in a pan and sometimes I bake it in muffin cups. There's no difference in the batter - just depends on my mood at the time.

Esteemed Contributor

@nevergivesup   Your upbringing sounds like a Hallmark movie.  Some kids that have everything have no idea what they are missing.  It could have made you bitter to not have as much as others, but your parents gifted you with what counts....grace and thankfulness.  

Thanks for sharing your memories!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Occasional Contributor

I love Jiffy cake mixes too and was sad when they stopped making their frosting mix.  Yes, they are small and make 6 cupcakes.  Just enough but not a lot left over.  I do not like the Jiffy cornbread mix for cornbread but I do use it in a couple of recipes.  

Valued Contributor

I use the Jilly corn mix to make a corn souffle. It's one of my favorite Thanksgiving side dishes. 

Esteemed Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Never tried their cake mixes, but I hate the cornbread mix.  My ex used to make that all the time.  Cornbread should not be sweet and it's quite easy to make from scratch.

@Icegoddess Who, other than you, says that cornbread should not be sweet??  I've never heard that rule before. 

Other than my deceased Mother's cornbread, it's the best I've had.  And you can make so many other recipes using the Jiffy Cornbread mix, that's another thing I like about the mix.

@KatieB,  a big ME.  Sugar has no place in cornbread.

LOL, the eternal southern argument--sweet or savory.

Disclaimer:  I do like the Jiffy cornbread mix but I eat it more as a dessert.  Savory cornbread with my meals.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@froggy the recipe on my bag of White Llly cornmeal does not list sugar, just cornmeal, oil, egg, and milk or buttermilk.

@Icegoddess,  sugar is what happens when you buy your cornmeal in a box LOL.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor
Going to check their website, but wonder if anyone has used their cake mix for a mug cake?