Honored Contributor

Re: I Hand-Wash All My Dishes . . .Anyone Else?

I don't put my pots and pans in the dishwasher, but everything else goes in.  We rinse everything off then let it wash  on "hot" when it fills.

Trusted Contributor

I rent and have no disheasher except my two hands.

Occasional Contributor

I rarely use the dishwasher.  Only if I have company & guests exceed 5 people.   Hand washing with hot soapy water -- have been doing since I got married in the early 80s.   I remember renovating the kitchen in the mid-80s and I didn't want a dishwasher -- would have preferred an extra cabinet.  But my husband won out on this and we installed the dishwasher.  This was the only time in my marriage that he was right Smiley Happy.  When we eventually sold the home, and kitchen without a dishwasher would have been a negative.  

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my....I would never give up my dishwasher! It's just the two of us, but it's amazing how many bowls, small plates, utensils we use during the day. I run the dishwasher ever 2 days and love the squeaky clean and shiny utensils and dishes. I never, ever have a sink full of dishes - everything is rinsed and goes in the dishwasher as we use them. The only things I hand wash are my pans and knives, and I do that right after using them, and never in a sinkfull of water.

If you enjoy washing dishes, good for you. That's not my thing! I had my share of washing a sinkfull of dirty dishes in water that eventually wasn't very clean when I was growing up! No thanks, but you asked!

Respected Contributor

Always by hand...never had or wanted a dishwasher.

Honored Contributor

I have a dishwasher but find it easier to just wash my plate and silverware after every meal.  The dishwasher is storing clean dishes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I am a one person household and always use my dishwasher. I had to wash the dishes by hand growing up as a child. On my own, no way. I load the dishwasher as I use my dishes, and run machine when it is full. I do put pans in my cycles as well.

Trusted Contributor

Unfortunately I do too and I really hate doing dishes.

Jessa
Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter   In the townhouse I now rent there is a dishwasher.  I have only used it twice, once when I moved in to learn how it worked and to be sure it worked, and the only time after that was when I had a really large social event to cook for and wanted to have the kitchen cleared and cleaned up before I left with the finished food.

My Significant Other needs things to keep him busy and doing dishes is one he enjoys doing.  I also like doing dishes and we do them as we go--things don't sit in the sink unless we are soaking a dirty roasting or broiler pan.

I never put knives (other than tabletop setting) in the dishwasher or pots and pans or earthenware type items, or Lock and Lock.

Like some others I keep my oversized clean platters, casseroles, and other large, bulky dishware stored in there.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Esteemed Contributor

Ever since my husband starting working from home it seems I was always doing dishes all day long. Cat plates, regular glasses, silverware etc. I finally just had enough and started using the dishwasher a couple of times a week. Prior to that I never used it but now I like it.