Esteemed Contributor

how clean do you Scrub your Outdoor Grill?

[ Edited ]

We got a new Commerical Chefmate infrared outdoor grill.  It's a bear to clean (and I don't  really mean Bear! Woman Frustrated Woman Mad Woman Sad)

we "cured" the grill with oil as the directions said.  Crusty mess after cooking

I soak the grill & plates in hot soapy water, with and without vinegar, tried degreaser......

I just don't know what to live with and what must be scrubbed off anymore

thanks for any advice

Honored Contributor

Re: how clean do you Scrub your Outdoor Grill?

[ Edited ]

I try to burn off residue after steak or whatever is cooked.  Its obviously sterile at that point.  Wire brushed before next use.  I always try to oil the meat first and not move it quickly so it won't stick as much, like in a frying pan.  If it gets really bad I will put grill in dishwasher and start over again.  This is a plain old grill with a cast iron grate, Weber Q grill, I think its called.  

Edit:  We actually have two of these grills, one is at the cottage.  The newer one has an enameled grate.  I haven't paid much attention to which one is better.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I press aluminum foil down on the grates, shiny side down, turn all the burners on high, close the lid and let it rip. I check it every 10 min or so to see if everything on the burners has turned to ash. Once it's all ashy I use a steel brush to clean all the ash off. It doesn't usually take very long. I do my first check once the smoke from burning off the hot grates simmers down.

Honored Contributor

My DH also turns on the grill to heat it and "cook" the debris off.  He'll scrub it with a wire brush.

Honored Contributor

Put in a very large, sturdy plastic bag, close and lay on its side, add 1/2 bottle of sudsy ammonia.  After it has soaked several hours, turn and do the other side.  Rinse well with a hose.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you one and all! 

I used to burn it off with our other grills, but with the infrared grill I didn't know.

I did  burn it off tonight after burgers

I will definitely try the ammonia when needed.

thanks again Heart

Respected Contributor

I don't know - DH is in charge of the grill, including cleaning. We use charcoal only so I'm sure that he finishes off the cleaning when he starts a new fire.

Honored Contributor

When I want to clean it well, I use some spray cleaner from Weber.