Respected Contributor

Re: How to keep lettuce fresh?

Since I have four guinea pigs, I purchase a lot of green and red leaf lettuce.  

I recently discovered the Rubbermaid Fresh Works Produce Saver.  I actually have two of them, one I use exclusively for the guinea pigs and the other one I use for our Romaine lettuce.  

I was skeptical at first, but I've discovered that they really do keep the lettuce fresh and crispy for quite a long time.

I don't purchase much Iceberg lettuce, but I would imagine the Fresh Works would keep it very crisp and extend the life of a head much longer than just a plastic bag.

I used to use a Lock & Lock for my lettuce, but I find the Fresh Works to be superior.

One other tip is to put a sheet of paper towel on top of the lettuce and change it frequently as soon as it becomes damp.  That also helps to prolong the life of the lettuce.

Honored Contributor

With iceburg, I take out the core, discard the outer leaves, pour cold water down the core opening to crispen the inner leaves and rince off the outside.

It gets paper towls over it and under while it drains.  After about an hour I put it in a zip lock with a paper towel under it and press excess air out.  I can keep mine for about two weeks.  I'll discard brown edges on the bottom. 

Honored Contributor

I pick my own lettuce. I have an old Lock & Lock huge square container that came with an elevated removeable rack I set in the bottom that catches all the excess water after washing my lettuce. It keeps forever! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I swear by the green bags and boxes by Debbie Meyers. I can keep a head of iceberg lettuce for at least 2 weeks, in a green bag; I put a paper towel in with it to soak up the mositure and change it every few days. I don't core it tho. Also have to cut the brown edges away but it is good otherwise. Would do this with other leafy lettuces too. However---I cannot for the life of me, store bag salad for more than a day as it ALWAYS turns brown and gross no matter what I do with it. Cash in the trash every time.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Trix wrote:

I highly recommend  Lock 'N Lock or a Debbie Meyer Greenbox for lettuce.  I'm alone, but because of the airtight boxes I am not afraid that the more economical large sizes of packaged green mixes will spoil.  I split the bag and use two or three boxes for storage.  One box is opened daily, and the others are kept sealed until needed.  Sometimes it's  two weeks before the last box is opened and the leaves are still crisp and fresh smelling.  

@Trix

I wrap the head of lettuce in paper towels and use Debbie Meyer Green Bags.

It lasts forever, I just change the paper towel out when it's damp. I'll have to look for her greenbox! 

@KingstonsMom, this is what I do too but I also have and swear by the Genius Air Plus.  It not only helps with produce but also does a great job keeping the entire refrigerator fresh.   http://www.qvc.com/Genius-Air-Plus-Refrigerator-Refresher-&-Deodorizer.product.K29491.html?sc=K29491...

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

@lork wrote:

I can usually keep iceburg lettuce for a week or two in the frig.  First of all, don't cut it with a knife, unless you're going to eat it all right away.  Ues your fingers to tear the lettuce into peaces as  you need it. I remove the plastic wrap and rinse it well under cool running water.  I then  pat it dry, and wack the bottem of the core several times on the edge of my sink.  This will loosen the core and you can pretty much pull it out of the center of the lettuce head with your fingers.  I put it, core (hole) side down in a Tupperware type container.  (The one I have actually has a little lift thing that holds the lettuce head up off the bottem of the container.)  If you look around, I'm sure you can find a similar Lock & Lock type round container that will work.  Anyway, keep it air tight in the frig.  If any water accumulates in the bottem of the container, remove the head of lettuce and pour it off.  Replace the head and again cover/refegerate.  I don't buy bagged lettuce, as I know they put a lot of chemicals on it to keep it fresh looking.  My DH only likes iceburg lettuce, so it's what I always have on hand. 

Hi @lork,

I have a container that is like yours. Smiley Happy

It's similar to a Tupperware container that is made for storing iceberg lettuce, and it has an insert for keeping the lettuce off of the bottom of the container.

I think that I got it on sale from one of those kitchen stores. 

It does work well at keeping the lettuce fresh. 

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom, HSN has a good selection of Debbie Meyer green boxes.  

Honored Contributor

@Marp

Hi Marp!

Thank you for the recommendation, I'll sure pick one up! Keeping the rest of my fridge fresh would be an added bonus!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I didn't read entire thread so sorry if this is a repeat.  I cut out the core with a knife and run water into the hole.  You will be surprised how much the head can absorb.  Then store it in a Tupperware or Lock & Lock.  Pull or cut off as needed.  No more brown dry lettuce.  I'm the only one around here that will eat it, so I have to do this. 

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Marp

Hi Marp!

Thank you for the recommendation, I'll sure pick one up! Keeping the rest of my fridge fresh would be an added bonus!Heart

@KingstonsMom, you are very welcome.  I hope you are as happy with the Genius as I am.  I've given them as gifts to family and they were so pleased they ordered some and gave them as gifts.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.