Frequent Contributor

I buy iceburgh because it's cheaper and I like it  No matter how small the head is I still can't eat it fast enough before it goes bad.

I only get maybe a fourth thru it when it gets brown.

Can you still eat it brown if it's still crunchy, or what do I do to make it last longer?

I now cut it up, put paper towels in the container...still too much waste.

Help!

Honored Contributor

Re: How to keep lettuce fresh?

@Shopster3 wrote:

I now cut it up, put paper towels in the container...still too much waste.

Help!

If your container is AIR TIGHT, you should be able to keep your lettuce "fresh" for up to 3 weeks.

I use an OXO oblong air tight container for my romane lettuce.  Stays fresh up to month.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I usually buy romaine lettuce and store it in a Lock and Lock container.  It lasts for weeks.  Not sure they make a container that would hold iceberg lettuce, however.

Trusted Contributor

I buy mixed greens, etc., in the plastic containers.  It will last at least 2 weeks and I find we eat it more often, because it is ready to go.MO

Honored Contributor

I have SOOOO gotten into Mason Jars (Bell jars)

for air-tight freshness.

I've found pre-chopping (not washing) & stuffing into those jars,

really keeps the brown-stuff away.  Just wash as needed. 

I've also found using Romaine lettuce is much better for longevity.

But the best bet is to eat it...everyday...so the brown stuff 

doesn't have a chance to appear! 💚

Esteemed Contributor

I highly recommend  Lock 'N Lock or a Debbie Meyer Greenbox for lettuce.  I'm alone, but because of the airtight boxes I am not afraid that the more economical large sizes of packaged green mixes will spoil.  I split the bag and use two or three boxes for storage.  One box is opened daily, and the others are kept sealed until needed.  Sometimes it's  two weeks before the last box is opened and the leaves are still crisp and fresh smelling.  

Super Contributor

I can usually keep iceburg lettuce for a week or two in the frig.  First of all, don't cut it with a knife, unless you're going to eat it all right away.  Ues your fingers to tear the lettuce into peaces as  you need it. I remove the plastic wrap and rinse it well under cool running water.  I then  pat it dry, and wack the bottem of the core several times on the edge of my sink.  This will loosen the core and you can pretty much pull it out of the center of the lettuce head with your fingers.  I put it, core (hole) side down in a Tupperware type container.  (The one I have actually has a little lift thing that holds the lettuce head up off the bottem of the container.)  If you look around, I'm sure you can find a similar Lock & Lock type round container that will work.  Anyway, keep it air tight in the frig.  If any water accumulates in the bottem of the container, remove the head of lettuce and pour it off.  Replace the head and again cover/refegerate.  I don't buy bagged lettuce, as I know they put a lot of chemicals on it to keep it fresh looking.  My DH only likes iceburg lettuce, so it's what I always have on hand. 

Honored Contributor

Instead of cutting lettuce with a knife, try using your hands instead. Most knife blades cause oxidation to the lettuce. 

Paper towels need to be changed out when they become too moist and replaced. 

Store in air tight container in the back of the refrigerator where the temperature is cooler.

I have seen a container for iceberg lettuce, but can't remember where. Might try Amazon. HTH

Frequent Contributor

Thanks, I think I know what I'm doing wrong now.

I have it in lock n lock but I've been cutting it all up first with a knife.

I will now just tear off what I need.

And I love the mason jar idea. I have small mason jars that would make the perfect portion sizes.  I will put all my salad ingredients in each one except dressing and then when I want a salad, Walla! 

You guys are so smart Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Shopster3

Here are a couple of examples for youimage.jpeg