Honored Contributor

Re: How to Arrange Your Kitchen - Julia Child

Speaking of going nuts... this website isn't helping!  It has signed me out six times already and although I "hearted" all of your posts in this thread, they are not registering. I'm off to work now.. hoping they'll straighten things out.  Have a lovely day, everyone.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's my kinda kitchen, I have to wonder how much cooking really gets done in these big fancy high tech kitchens.

Esteemed Contributor

Way,way too cluttered, would drive me crazy.

Respected Contributor

Julia's vintage "French Chef" shows are rerun on PBS here every morning at 11:00.  No she didnt drink wine and cook at the same time, she did present her finished culinary creations at the dining table and suggested a wine pairing for each dish, poured her glass and Bon Appetit!

Julia used some cheesy looking cookware though with ill-fitting lids. All of her Pyrex measuring cups had the "Pyrex" covered in duct tape. Some of the dishes she demonstrated looked distinctly inedible.

Pot au Feu is one that required boiling to death first assorted beef bones for the stock and then the egg whites to clarify and then a 4lb chuck roast wraped up with twine and strung out of a 25 qt saucepot. Shoeleather Surprise!

then there was the stuffed Cabbage "Chou Farci" . Gag. imagine being invited to dinner and being served the one Julia prepared, the green of the cabbage had been thoroughly boiled out and what was left was a platter of un molded casserole of glazed grey meat.

Honored Contributor

I used to watch her when I was pregnant with one of my children.  I don't recall which. I would get nauseated although I wanted to watch.  Sometimes she used food that was not palatable on a sick stomach.  It seems as if the Galloping Gourmet followed closely behind her in cooking shows on TV.  I miss those days of decent and yet entertaining TV.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday 

I have such fond memories of the Galloping Gourmet show.  My dad loved it, but in those days we had neither a VCR nor a DVR, so he couldn't watch it regularly. It was a fun occasion when we got to watch it together.  It sparked my dad's love for cooking. When he retired at 62 years old, he took over the kitchen. My mom hated to cook, so she was very glad to let him have his way.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@CatsyCline Julia Child was slighly peculiar but interesting in a weird way. And I still laugh at her "boun Appetite" I remember how she licked her fingers all the time , also a lot of cooking people do, like that Guy on HSN , and I notice no one eats after he cooks" ole Woofgang Puck" and a another is Jacque that is on Rachael Ray. I gag watching him. Keep your eyes open and you will see alot.

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline , funny you should mention dishes from Julia that weren't exactly appetizing in the days before online reviews.

Same can be said for Martha Stewart. Many recipes of hers aren't exactly well received, either.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy 

I totally agree. I've been a fan of Martha Stewart since the 80s, but I can't list more than two recipes of hers that I ever enjoyed.

I'm right now watching "Julie and Julia".  I'm enjoying the part about Julia's life, but the young woman struggling to make all those complicated recipes is stressing me out.  Not one of them is anything I'd want to eat, let alone cook.

~ house cat ~