Respected Contributor

Re: How to Arrange Your Kitchen - Julia Child

@Foxxee If you cook everyday like I used to, everything in time would get washed.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

@Foxxee If you cook everyday like I used to, everything in time would get washed.

@BeccaLou 

That's true if you like them as decorative pieces, too. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat 

Love it! Thanks for sharing...this kitchen reminded me of my aunts kitchen growing up in the early 60s.

Nothing fancy, small, cozy and she was a great cook!  She hung everything on these pegs on the walls in the kitchen...and her refrigerator, pantry and baking area was in a little room off kitchen(which now would probably be a mud room).

Respected Contributor

It warms my heart that even the best of cooks begin to run out of space for their "tools" at home.  I don't think she could be shamed by today's oft strived for standard of having that pristine counter top and I admire home cooks who resist and set their kitchen up to cook with passion.  I only wonder why she placed items on that gorgeous chopping block.  I suppose it was convenient and cleared when necessary.

Honored Contributor

Nothing against Ms Julia, as I know it's all me, but I would have major anxiety with all that clutter.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting.I enjoyed the pictures.But this kitchen is too cluttered for me.You could tell she loved to cook because of all the pots, pans, & instruments. Her Kitchen looks very lived in.I doubt she ever had pre cooked food delivered.Lol!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat 

ooooo, I love this!  Love the blue and green cabinets too, just what I'd like in my next home are those colors, two other's I'm deciding on are gray or white.  I'll choose just one probably, but I do like her colors together though.

Peg  boards were popular in kitchens in the 70's and eary eighties.

Didn't see a dishwasher, boy was I thrilled to finallty have one.  not much counter space. All those pans, wow, and every one has a spot!

I love to look at kitchens to see if there's anything I used/or have. I started my family in the late 70's when I was 20- started young- so Julia was a bit older, but loved to watch her.

I just clicked to view the photo's,I'll go back to look at them.will make for good reading tonight or tomorrow. Do you know when the article was shot?

Thx for postingCat Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt Our zoo made a replica of Julia Child's kitchen and her apartment was not huge and she was writing cookbooks with 2 other ladies , so she needed all her cooking and measuring items.

Honored Contributor

I never really watched her but my mother said she would be drinking wine and make a mess of whatever she was preparing.  I actually spoke to her when she called to talk to my boss when I worked in at a small luxury hotel for the president of the management co. of the hotel.  I had the nerve to say "may I ask who is calling?"   Her voice is recognizable.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou 

Thank you for the reminder. I saw that movie when it was in the theatre and probably didn't enjoy it as much as I could have, because I was with my husband who had no interest in it at all. He's currently out of town, so this would be a great time for me to rewatch it.

@skittles2 

I don't know when the book was written, but it's available in paperback from Amazon for $20. I considered purchasing it, but I prefer Kindle books. I'll have to see if there's a Kindle version available.

I agree with @chickenbutt and those who said the clutter would make them nuts.  I have anxiety issues, and clutter is one ot the things that sets me off.  

~ house cat ~