Respected Contributor

Re: How long do you keep things in a freezer?

I have a piece of my wedding cake from 35 years ago.

I have Christmas ice cream trees that my grandmother bought in 1998 before she passed away.

They are reminders of happy days and times!

Occasional Contributor

I have kept some things for years.  I recently ate soup which went into my chest freezer five years ago.  It was delicious.  On the other hand, many things, such as berries and bread, dehydrate, ruining their quality, though I doubt they are harmful.

Esteemed Contributor

I have some at least a year.  I have two freezers and one is more for this month type planing.  All dated and marked when put in.  Taken in to the kitchen when needed.

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 They insisted it was good!!! 😝 No way was I going to taste it!

KJPA
Valued Contributor

Up until this pandemic I didn't store uncooked frozen food in the freezer for more than a few weeks. Since then I've kept frozen meats for up to one month. I don't freeze cooked food to often, and when I do, I use it up within a week or so. I rarely purchase frozen vegetables as I find I don't end up using them and having to toss  it after a few months. 

Honored Contributor

No more than 6 months.  

Honored Contributor

One year for me. I will keep packages of ground beef up to a year, even though the chart says 6 months . I don't freeze a whole lot other than the usual items and my homemade Mac and cheese, soups, and chili. But with not getting out, the freezer is full!

I get nervous every time we have a power outage! We were lucky with Isaias - our power "blinked" three times, but stayed on. Around the corner there were trees down and power just came on today. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Vaccum sealed always.  steaks and roasts 2 years.  ground meats 1 year max.  leftovers /soups 6 mos.  important papers forever. eta( in the vaccum seal Not the freezer!Woman Embarassed Hee Hee.)

Esteemed Contributor

For me personally, it's about 6 months but no more than one year.  If things were prepared for the freezer using a vacuum sealer, I wouldn't be afraid to eat/use it if it were in there for over a year  I think, as someone else pointed out, it's more about the loss of nutrients and taste of things rather than a safety issue.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown