Esteemed Contributor

Re: How long do you keep things in a freezer?

@noodleann  Same to you from RLS and the "girls".

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 My hubby's grandma was a good cook and we ate there often when we were much younger. After she died we were cleaning out everything when some family members found frozen applesauce in the chest freezer. Dated about 20 years previous! Then proceeded to eat it! I was horrified but they didn't get sick. We never got food poisoning there and Lord knows what we might have eaten!

KJPA
Honored Contributor

One year max on anything in the freezer for me.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Way too many variables to give a number of months.  Depends upon the kind of freezer, how the food was prepped to be frozen, how many days it was in the refrig before it was frozen, where the items were placed in the freezer, how many times the freezer was opened, how many hours the power to the freezer was disrupted, and on and on.

I have just a top freezer and I use that freezer for ice cubes, so I open it often.  Sure I try to have a plan before I ever open that door, but 6 months is close to a maximum for me and for best taste and texture, I try to organize for less than that.

Esteemed Contributor

@KJPA   20 years!!!   Sweet Baby James, they are braver than I am.  I'm glad no one got sick.  I can't imagine it tasted very good.

Honored Contributor

I agree - different things, different life spans.

But for me, over all, I can keep things for a few years pretty easily IF, and only if, I have vacuum-sealed them.   They stay pristine because no air can get to the food.

If it's something that's just in an airtight container or like processed foods I have like Lean Cuisines, unless it's dry goods (like nuts, seeds, etc), not more than a month or two probably.

The problem with anything less than vacuum-sealing is that there is air in there.  Granted, the air doesn't go in an out of an airtight container, but there IS some air in there unless you are able to fill it up so hard that there's no room for air.  The oxygen in the air will  break down perishables.

I will put the nuts, grains, seeds, etc, in L&L and they will stay perfectly well because they aren't emitting moisture which kicks in the oxygen.   Sometimes, however, I do measure out and vac-seal some nuts or seeds just to have them in the size that I will use when I take them out of the freezer.   Once I purchased a carp-ton of flax seeds.   For storage I figured it made more sense to just measure them out to match the L&L container that I put some in while in use and vacuum seal them that way.  I can just pull out one packet, when my container that's in use is getting empty, and pour them right in.  I do that with a few things.  Easier than storing one HUGE container of it.  Smiley Happy

(sorry I go so long.  Best I don't get started on food storage or I'll never shut up!)  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Once meat and other things go into my freezer I usually don't eat it and I give them to my friend.

I only freeze them to keep it from going bad.  He takes them and puts them in his freezer.

He does a lot of things for me (i.e. carries in groceries, fixes things, etc.).  He doesn't need money but he will take the meat, etc from my freezer.

In the Winter I will use the filet mignon for soup, but only if it's been in freezer for a few months.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We keep things rotated & try to use in 6-8 mos.

We vacuum seal everything.

We bought a large freezer we have to defrost ourselves so the freezer is not constantly defrosting lowering the temperature in freezer causing food to thaw a bit. 

Our food stays frozen solid. 

That's how the freezer in our refrigerator works so don't keep much in it. I keep frozen fruits in it I use for smoothies.  

Respected Contributor

I don't even like hearing a year, let alone eating something that's been frozen for a year. 6 or 8 months on everything, then it's out. I also get skeeved at the idea of cooked food being frozen, thawed and eaten again. I never freeze my meals and serve them later. Don't care who advises it for convenience. The one thing I do freeze and keep is my homemade Sofrito, which is cilantro, peppers, garlic and spices, for my rice dishes. I also make sure I also use it up within the 6-8 month limit I've imposed on myself. I rotate the food in the freezer and use everything. During this pandemic, I've used nearly everything that I had in the freezer. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KBEANS wrote:

I don't even like hearing a year, let alone eating something that's been frozen for a year. 6 or 8 months on everything, then it's out. I also get skeeved at the idea of cooked food being frozen, thawed and eaten again. I never freeze my meals and serve them later. Don't care who advises it for convenience. The one thing I do freeze and keep is my homemade Sofrito, which is cilantro, peppers, garlic and spices, for my rice dishes. I also make sure I also use it up within the 6-8 month limit I've imposed on myself. I rotate the food in the freezer and use everything. During this pandemic, I've used nearly everything that I had in the freezer. 

@KBEANS 

I'm saying 6-8 mos because we are in a Pandemic right now & had to stock the freezer. I'm sure it will take time to eat it all. At least we will have something to eat if need be.

We live in a smaller area that does not have lots of grocery stores.

We don't normally have it stocked full like we do right now.

I don't freeze meals either but DH does make Chili, Jambalaya, Gumbo, Ham Bean soup he freezes to take to work to eat for lunch.

I don't want cooked food from the freezer either. It just does not taste the same.   

We also have onions, jalapeno peppers, bell peppers, celery etc cut up in the freezer ready to use as needed.