Honored Contributor

Re: How do you keep your table linens stain-free?

@jackthebear

My mom covered hers in plastic and my husband always thought it was so awful.  Maybe it was considered tasteless to some people, but she always had a beautiful, clean home and the linens I inherited from her were stain free... until I got my hands on them, anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions of OxyClean. I love all things "laundry", but for some reason I have never tried it.  I did buy that Fels-Naptha soap, on the recommendation of some forum friends here.  It's in my linen cabinet somewhere - I guess I should use it!

I may also try the ScotchGuard.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

We dine very casually at home. I stopped using tablecloths/linens altogether. Had a piece of glass cut to protect the wooden table, then use cloth placemats or pretty kitchen towels, inexpensive woven mats, etc. I launder the placemats and towels in my usual laundry detergent with OxiClean added. The woven mats are cleaned with a sponge. None remain on the table after eating and are always put away until the next use.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

@jackthebear

My mom covered hers in plastic and my husband always thought it was so awful.  Maybe it was considered tasteless to some people, but she always had a beautiful, clean home and the linens I inherited from her were stain free... until I got my hands on them, anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions of OxyClean. I love all things "laundry", but for some reason I have never tried it.  I did buy that Fels-Naptha soap, on the recommendation of some forum friends here.  It's in my linen cabinet somewhere - I guess I should use it!

I may also try the ScotchGuard.

I had a book on vintage tableclothes, like the ones you added,  I sold it but I think it had info on care as well

Esteemed Contributor

Have you checked out what Cheryl would say (Home Comforts)?  I did a quick look and it seems useful.  Too lengthy to repeat here.🏡

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia 

thank you - I'll look into that

@jackthebear

That book looks wonderful!  I'll look for it on Amazon - thank you.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

OP I have that birdie tablecloth. No problem keeping it clean! I just throw in in the wash, dry and I'm ready to go. This bird tablecloth is adorable by the way!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use plastic over mine but what I get comes on a long roll from Joann's fabric store. It gets cut to length at the table where fabric is cut. It comes in different thicknesses from very thin to very sturdy and in totally clear to a matte or slightly cloudy kind of look. It's in an area of the store where the long tubes are leaned on an agle towards the wall as opposed to the reels. The only disadvantage is if you forget and set something really hot directly on it a permanent sort of indentation will stay there and you'll be able to see it sometimes depending on how light shines on your table at various times of day. My place mats of course are used on top of it for meals and pot holders or trivet type things for hot dishes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tucsongal wrote:

We put coordinating place mats on top of the table cloth when we eat, then take them up again. We have ordered a slightly larger round table and our table cloths will no longer fit. I’m afraid I’m going to really miss them.

This is what I do as well, except for the most formal of meals.

The layered look in doing this seems popular in magazines and online looks at tablescapes. I just make sure the placemats are easily washable and will look good afterwards. It has really saved having to wash the tablecloth all the time.

Honored Contributor

I too love vintage tablecloths. Since my table is right next to my living room it is important for it to always look especially nice. Right now I have a patchwork red , white and blue one out, and I'm in the process of making a quilted fall colors tablerunner. I am always perusing the linens section in antique stores. I have a round lace one from the Eisenhower Whitehouse. It's really beautiful. My dining room table is 44" octagon shape so when there are no boards in, a round tablecloth is best but I can use a square one too. I also have oblong ones to accommadate when we have boards in.

I'm interested to hear how others keep their cloths clean.