Honored Contributor

How do you keep your table linens stain-free?

I love vintage table linens, and retro-inspired new ones, too.  I have this one in my shopping cart, but I shudder at the thought of it becoming stained.  This one is 100% cotton, which is what i prefer.  

How do you keep yours from getting stained?

Is it feasible to spray them with Scotch Guard before each use?

Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 10.12.18 AM.png

I found a company called Maison d' Hermine that has beautiful things. I can't post the link here, unfortunately. 

I mostly prefer these novelty ones from a site called TheVintageTable, but they are nearly impossible to find in the 60x84 size that I need. If anyone has a source, please share it.

Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 10.34.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 10.38.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 10.39.05 AM.png

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: How do you keep your table linens stain-free?

House cat, I LOVE linens and these table cloths are fabulous!  I eat in front of the TV so my stains are on the front of my shirts.  I hope you get some good suggestions... SC

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat Our neighbors brought us a beautiful tablecloth from Bermuda. We stained it with some kind of turkey or ham juice. We didn't bring it out for several years; then, my husband decided to try soaking it in OxiClean. It worked like a charm!

Honored Contributor

you can buy clear plastic "tablecloths" to go over them not the prettiest solution

Honored Contributor

My tablecloth gets dirty from the packages and stuff that gets piled on it as my husband and kids pass thru the dining room more so than from food spills.   I seem to wash it weekly, and agree with using Oxy Clean.   

Valued Contributor

Been spraying mine with Scotchguard for years, really works. My cloths are stain free!

Respected Contributor

I agree that OxyClean and stain removers like Shout work great on most stains - even grease. I prefer cotton also but the newer indoor/outdoor fabrics are great for heavy everyday use.

Respected Contributor

Another vote for OxiClean.  I used it on a very old, lace tablecloth and it was sparkling!  I don't dry them in a dryer, I have a clothes line and it works great!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Get a bar of Fels-Naptha soap.  I keep my clothes spot free with it.  Safe for colors also.

Lots of good info if you google Fels-Naptha.

Respected Contributor

We put coordinating place mats on top of the table cloth when we eat, then take them up again. We have ordered a slightly larger round table and our table cloths will no longer fit. I’m afraid I’m going to really miss them.