Esteemed Contributor

Re: How are your knife skills and do you have a good collection of kitchen knives?

@Sooner, nice subject! 

My older sister, who's a whiz in the kitchen, wisely advised me to ignore all the sales pitches for slicing gadgets, cheap knife sets or 'bonus' knives, and instead buy myself a GOOD knife and learn how to use it! 

I did exactly that, practicing slicing,  dicing, mincing etc and gaining speed as my skill increased. Eventually I bought a half dozen GOOD knives and donated all the cheap knives and slicing gadgets that took up a whole drawer in my kitchen.

I cook every day, usually needing 1 knife for the cutting board, a paring knife for trimming, and a serated bread knife. Thats it! Cleanup takes seconds! 

I'm SO glad took the time to practice good knife skills.

They've really paid off in many ways.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How are your knife skills and do you have a good collection of kitchen knives?

Honesly I never met  a knife that does not cut into me and cause injury---minor and major.  Woman Very Happy  That is why when my many military cousins offered to take me to a shooting range to teach me to use a gun I told them I had sooo many cousins a few less would not matter  much.  I am trying to be funny, but it is seriously true. I seem to be accident prone when it comes to dangerous and not so dangerous utensils.  

Valued Contributor

My knife skills are just so so.  I have a whole collection of Rada knives that suit my needs just fine.