Honored Contributor

Re: How Often Do You Serve Bread With Your Main Meal?

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I don't......bread is reserved for a special treat and I rarely eat it (even though it is one of my favorite foods).

Same here.  I love bread but I try not to eat it too much.  Now it's a treat since I'm not giving it up.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Growing up when my mom made beef stew we would always get a loaf of vienna bread from the bakery. Delicious.  I don't know if vienna bread is even made anymore.

Honored Contributor

Pretty much only when I make something Italian, which is usually Wednesday nights around here.  DH doesn't like pasta - something I should have considered a deal breaker when we first met - but he likes garlic bread.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

With my main meal?  How 'bout as my main meal, LOL.

Been a bread lover since I was a kid, but try to only do whole grain (healthy fiber) now. 

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Been a bread lover since I was a kid, but try to only do whole grain (healthy fiber) now. 

*Snort* thanks for the giggle @feline groovy as this reminds me of the time I bought frozen baguettes from Costco along with Kerrygold butter as I had heard their butter is delicious (it is!) . . . that first baguette never saw it coming and to be honest neither did I but I enjoyed every crumb and have never forgiven Costco for discontinuing them!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

*Snort* thanks for the giggle @feline groovy as this reminds me of the time I bought frozen baguettes from Costco along with Kerrygold butter as I had heard their butter is delicious (it is!) . . . that first baguette never saw it coming and to be honest neither did I but I enjoyed every crumb and have never forgiven Costco for discontinuing them!

LOL, @momtochloe; try Googling a replacement so you won't be baguette-less.  8)

Trusted Contributor

Usually it is a batard or baguette and, usually without butter.

With Italian food, also soup and stews. 

I also like some with my salad, which I usually have after the main course.  Helps to clear the palate between the vinaigrette and any additional wine. 

Respected Contributor

I am a devotee of bread of any kind.  Must have toast in the a.m. but I would eat bread at every meal if I could.  I try to eat bread once a day, but that rule is often broken.  Don't tell me not to buy bread.  I have an anxiety attack where there is none in the house.

Respected Contributor

Never serve with meals but I grew up with cousins whose grandmother ALWAYS had bread with a meal.  Anytime we had a meal there they'd haul out the bread and butter.  

Living alone if I buy bread I eat maybe 3 or 4 slices for toast in morning and oftentimes it goes bad.  Recently started buying some artisan breads from Wegman's and I'll have toast a few mornings but now I wrap about 4 slices in nonstick Reynolds Wrap and put in a freezer bag and pull one out occasionally.  

Respected Contributor

sliced bread with a meal? Never..Maybe rolls with a Holiday meal, or crusty French bread as an accompaniment to a soup or stew meal...