Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Often Do You But A Range?

If your oven goes kaput, in these difficult pandemic times, why not buy a Nesco style oven (many brands, under $100) to Senate use you over?

Honored Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@ECBG  If your current range works, keep it, even if you don't use it very much. The newer kitchen appliances don't last nearly as long as the older ones. Also, as another poster mentioned, it takes a long time to get appliances now. To paraphrase, if it ain't broke, don't replace it. 

@Eileen in Virginia Honey. I use the oven heavily at holiday time making pound cakes for gifts.

Anything we baked had to be timed less than recommend because it cooked so hot. Every single baked cake either hummed in the middle or pound cakes boiled up and over!

What good is a useless tool?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

LOL!!! 40 years old. The stove has been here since the house was built. It does not look like it's 40 years old.

When we did some upgrades in the kitchen 20 years ago the stove/oven was still working so I left it in the kitchen. Now it's 40 years plus still working. Smiley Surprised

It's Bisque color along with the rest of our appliances.

We need to gut our kitchen but I have no idea what to buy. We have electric but DH wants gas.

We want cabinets with drawers & shelves that slide out.

We have to find someone we trust enough to do the job after we see what happens with the Pandemic.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Often Do You Buy A Range?

I am not in the appliance market right now, but I did hear there is a shortage because of so many people cooking at home now.  So if you want one for the Holidays you may not want to wait, I would start shopping now, get on a waitlist if necessary.  But if the brand/style that you like has broken on you twice, you may want to try a different brand. Maybe check Consumer Reports or Wirecutter website recommendation.  My oven is from the 1990s.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@ECBG  If your current range works, keep it, even if you don't use it very much. The newer kitchen appliances don't last nearly as long as the older ones. Also, as another poster mentioned, it takes a long time to get appliances now. To paraphrase, if it ain't broke, don't replace it. 

@Eileen in Virginia Honey. I use the oven heavily at holiday time making pound cakes for gifts.

Anything we baked had to be timed less than recommend because it cooked so hot. Every single baked cake either hummed in the middle or pound cakes boiled up and over!

What good is a useless tool?

@ECBG  Yikes, you really do need to replace it! My advice would be to check appliance dealers for ranges that they have in stock. Otherwise, you might not take delivery on an order in time for the holidays. I've got a friend who ordered a new refrigerator from a local store in July that was supposed to be delivered on September 9th. Not only was it not delivered, but they're telling her she may not get it by Thanksgiving now. She's checked with Home Depot and Lowes and they're telling her they're having the same problem getting stock. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

In the houses we have lived in, I wish I had taken my Thermadore double convection wall ovens with me!  OH my goodness I loved those ovens! 

I have never had a range since college apartment--cooktops and wall ovens only.  I'd love to have a Thermadore range!

I hope whatever you do, you are happy with it!

Respected Contributor

I buy a new one when the old one wears out!

(Usually about twenty plus years)

Valued Contributor

My mother just had to purchase a range /oven three weeks ago and it was about 20 yrs old. It is my mother and my brother (who helps her). They do not cook a lot or bake a lot but it happens.
The stove.oven has been on backorder and is expected to be installed this coming week.

Not easy when many restaurants are not open and my mother is older with health issues.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

Have a Dacor that is @ 20.  

Hope it lasts forever!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Never had to........and I have lived in OLD houses

♥Surface of the Sun♥