Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Did Your Mother Cook With Soup?

[ Edited ]

We primarily used it for two things:

1) We used it as a sauce base for the cornbread dressing we had at Thanksgiving.  We would layer cornbread, italian seasoning, and sauteed onions and celery all mixed together, and put thinned with chicken broth Cream of Mushroom soup between the layers to moisten it.   It was not greasy, and was a drier dressing than a  lot of people make.  It is the only dressing I like.  

2) We used Cream of Mushroom or Chicken as the base for fillings in pot pies.  

Once in a blue moon we might have Vegetarian Vegetable soup or Bean with Bacon for Sunday night supper with some cheese and crackers or a small sandwich.  But that was very rare.

I still use it for dressing and when I 'gotta have a King Ranch Casserole--which my mom never made.

Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Did Your Mother Cook With Soup?

@peachesncream wrote:

We had Campbell's tomato soup in the pantry for lunches, and canned broth for cooking. But "cooking with soup" wasn't a thing at our house. 

EXACTLY the opposite at our house!  We kept the creamed soups on hand to use for pot pies or to make a casserole or some other dishes.  It was easy and both my parents worked and I did a lot of cooking.

We didn't use tomato soup in cooking or eating because we thought it was too sweet and pretty bad.

We made and ate a LOT of soup.  Mostly beef vegetable or bean soup or split pea with ham.

We didn't eat it as soup.  Once in a great while mother would buy a can of bean with bacon because she liked that.  Dad and I didn't!