Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Have Strawberries Been In..............

@fthunt   My berries are in the colander now draining from being washed. I will be cutting them up shortly, hoping for nice juicy berries but who knows.  I'm on berry duty and DD will make te biscuits.

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Funny you should mention this. I bought Driscoll's strawberries yesterday for $2.50 and they were the sweetest ever-I just about finished the pound container in one sitting. It's been a long time since I've had any that good. (I'm in NC)

@GenXmuse 

The best I have gotten were Driscoll's.  I got a big container at Sams-0 flavor.

Esteemed Contributor

When we lived in Arkansas, they ate slightly unripe strawberries sprinkled with salt!

Very tasty!

I eat salt on unripe watermelon, why not strawberries!

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  This week, I did purchase a 16 oz. package

of Driscoll's Organic Strawberries from California. They are

excellent, nice and red and not white in the center. $6.99 per box

Sometimes I slice them and sprinkle a little sugar on top.

Those I use to top vanilla ice cream or for strawberry shortcake.

This week I cut some up to add to plain or vanilla yogurt.

I will also make cream cheese and strawberry sandwiches.

These are served at a nearby Tea House  and I have been making them at home.

I use Pepperidge Farm white sandwich bread and spread it with whipped cream cheese. Then I slice the strawberries about an eighth of an inch thick and place those on top of cream cheese. I top that with another slice of bread. For myself, I just

cut the sandwich into quarters. It is very good with hot or iced tea for lunch.

When I have a tea party for my girls, I trim the crust before serving along with other tea sandwiches and pastries.

Trusted Contributor

WalMart has been selling CA Driscolls for at least a month.  They have been excellent.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

Funny you should mention this. I bought Driscoll's strawberries yesterday for $2.50 and they were the sweetest ever-I just about finished the pound container in one sitting. It's been a long time since I've had any that good. (I'm in NC)

@GenXmuse 

The best I have gotten were Driscoll's.  I got a big container at Sams-0 flavor.

Yum! We don't f have that store but I got some at Food Lion. They also have pine berries right now too. 

Honored Contributor

Our local market buys from places in NC.   Strawberries have been pretty, but a basket was $6 and $36 for a flat.  I don't eat berries but saw quite a few people looking at them trying to decide if they were worth it.   

Respected Contributor

Up until about three weeks ago I was able to find strawberries at our farmers market (they are gone for this year) for $16 per gallon container.  They were okay.  I have definitely had better tasting berries in the past. 

Trusted Contributor

Here is SE PA I have been getting Driscolls from Shop Rite and from Giant and they have been good. I am headed to Aldi tomorrow as they have the California strawberries listed on sale for $1.69! Blackberries are on sale for $2.50 at Shop Rite this week, so if I cannot get a better price at Aldi, I will go there for the Blackberries (stores are across the street from each other).