Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: How Does Your Cooking Differ From What You Grew Up With?

ECGB

Will you tell your friend Annabelle the Cat I said Happy Holidays??

Miss her around the boards.

Esteemed Contributor

Very different from what I grew up with in most ways. One thing we did have was salad, which was always served last. Now it is my main meal, except on Sundays. We always had pasta & sauce on Sundays, (DH also)

and this is what we have now.

@ECBG

Since my Dad was a hunter, we had an assortment of game in the Sunday sauce! Pheasant, rabbit, squirrel....  (Can't believe I ate that!) But now meatballs or poultry sausage.

Honored Contributor

We didn't have things like tacos or pizza. More meat and potato dishes.

Esteemed Contributor

My mother was a meat-potato-vegetable cook. There was very little variety and very little bread or pasta. It was a thrill to go out to dinner and have something different than the usual bland stuff. I eat far less meat and far more ethnic foods, vegetables, pasta and grains.

Honored Contributor

My father was strictly a "meat and potatoes" man.  We had fish on Fridays, frequently flounder which I never see anymore.  He disliked Italian food so I didn't have a pizza until I was in high school.   Growing up there wasn't a microwave without which I would now starve--LOL!!  And dinners with my parents always included meat, potato AND vegetable.  Seldom do that now.

Honored Contributor

My mom was a wonderful homemaker, but she was a very picky eater and she hated cooking and the preparation that comes along with it.  My dad used to joke that she was a "wizard with a can opener".  She cooked every night and we never went hungry, but there was no joy in it for her.  

When my dad retired at age 60 he took over the kitchen.  I was no longer living with them, but his enthusiasm for shopping, prepping, cooking and feeding people was contagious and I have become very much like him.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

My father was strictly a "meat and potatoes" man.  We had fish on Fridays, frequently flounder which I never see anymore.  He disliked Italian food so I didn't have a pizza until I was in high school.   Growing up there wasn't a microwave without which I would now starve--LOL!!  And dinners with my parents always included meat, potato AND vegetable.  Seldom do that now.

I forgot fish on Friday! My Dad got food poisoning from fish when he was in the Army, so her refused to eat fish. He got scrambled eggs or pierogies on Fridays. If I never see baked flounder with stewed tomatoes again, it will be too soon.

Regular Contributor

My mom was a wonderful cook, but she didn't try many new recipes.  She had her tried and true recipes and rotated them all year long.  I'm more adventurous and am always trying new recipes.  My mom fried chicken, potatoes and salmon patties, but I don't fry anything.  My mom also made the best homemade rolls I've ever eaten.  Unfortunately, I didn't inherit that skill.  I kill yeast even when I use a thermometer to check the temperature of the liquid!  My mom had a crock-pot, but she rarely used it.  I use my crock-pot several times a month.  My dad had a sweet tooth so my mom fixed dessert a couple of times a week.  I only fix dessert if we have company or it's a special occasion.  Sometimes I'll fix something for us, but it's rare for us to have sweets around the house.

Super Contributor

I grew up in UK and have never heard anybody eating squirrel , 

We had the usual meat[chicken , beef , sausage , pork  ,lamb , ]also fish  and 2 veg most days . Mum home cooked from scratch and we had a pudding every day . Rice pudding made with lots of cream , jam tarts , apple pies . 

There was lots of fat used too .

Now we eat mostly chicken , fish , curries , mexican .Puddings once or twice a wk , yoghurts too .

Also we eat more salads , 

Esteemed Contributor

Growing up we were a meat & potatoes family as well as having  fried meats w/ gravy.  There was also far too many carbs....bread at every meal, corn was our main vegetable and we had mashed potatoes & noodles A LOT.  Now, I'm still a meat & potatoes girl but I limit the potatoes as well as my overall carb intake.  I eat a salad with my meal almost every night which is mainly a bowl of soup, a sandwich or a small portion of a casserole.  I "occasionally" over indulge in carbs by eating pasta or my mashed potatoes & noodles (I am a Hoosier, afterall)..

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown