Respected Contributor

OK, so I skipped a holiday but I've got my Holiday cookie recipes all planned out for this year.

I'm doing two of the same ole same ole, cooky canes and mexican wedding cakes but I'm going to try about 5 new one's this year.

My mom used to make melt in your mouth mexican wedding cakes but mine turn out a little less than melt in your mouth, I'm going to try to slow down the mixer and take some time off mixing in the flour, I think that's what makes them a little less than melt in your mouth goodness. 

I have some dates to use up too so I'm searching for a recipe that my grandma made which was a meringue cookie with a date inside..anyone make those?  That would be a very old recipe.

Trusted Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

OK, so I skipped a holiday but I've got my Holiday cookie recipes all planned out for this year.

I'm doing two of the same ole same ole, cooky canes and mexican wedding cakes but I'm going to try about 5 new one's this year.

My mom used to make melt in your mouth mexican wedding cakes but mine turn out a little less than melt in your mouth, I'm going to try to slow down the mixer and take some time off mixing in the flour, I think that's what makes them a little less than melt in your mouth goodness. 

I have some dates to use up too so I'm searching for a recipe that my grandma made which was a meringue cookie with a date inside..anyone make those?  That would be a very old recipe.

@Just Bling No, I have not heard of that type of cookie.  They all sound good to me, wish I had the baking bug.  Haven't done a day of baking in 25-30 years.  I hope you find the recipe and enjoy all the baking fun.  You'll like it even more when it comes time to taste, YUM!!Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling I'll bet your Mom stirred her batter with a spoon instead of a mixer & it does make a difference in the cookie. 

Have fun with your baking!

Honored Contributor

True, no shortcuts in cooking. LOL

Respected Contributor

peanutbutter blossems are good. they have a herseys kiss in the center.

Trusted Contributor

Wish I could help you with the date cookies but have never heard of them, but they sound delicious!

Last year I made those peanut butter cookies that usually have the chocolate kiss in the middle with a little twist...instead of a chocolate kiss, I used a miniature peanut butter cup...delicious!  Double dose of peanut butter with a little chocolate too...my family loved them that way and said they want them made that way from now on!

Honored Contributor

Just BlingHere is a recipe for Date cookies. 

Date Pecan Balls

1 c soft butter (I use unsalted)

1/2 c sugar; 2 t vanilla; 2 cups sifted flour, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 chopped pecans; 1 c chopped dates.  I always used the dates in the box from the grocery store (not sure what you have) but the dates I use are sweet and seem to be lightly sugar coated.

Cream butter & sugar.  Add vanilla and mix; add flour mix; add pecans & dates & mix.  Roll teaspoons of dough into balls.  Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.  Bake @ 350 on greased sheets for 20 minutes.  Cool and sprinkle with powder sugar, that is, cover the whole ball with the powder sugar.  YUM.  These are excellent cookies and actually quite easy.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

I've never heard of the date cookies you mentioned, but I wonder if the other meringue cookies would work with the dates? (using crushed nuts and also has chocolate chips). I'll share a recipe with you that has been my 88 yr old Mom's favorite for years. Just in case you want a recipe to use your dates in! : )

The recipe came from a cookbook, The American Home Cookbook, which she got when she was first married in 1948. (She gave the cookbook to me, and I cherish it, as there are many recipes in it that she used as I was growing up.)

Date Bars

2 eggs

1 cup confectioners’ sugar

1 Tbsp. shortening, melted

¼ cup sifted cake flour

¼ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon baking powder

1 cup chopped dates

1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat eggs until light. Add sugar and shortening. Blend well. Sift dry ingredients together. Add dates, nuts and vanilla. Blend well and pour into greased shallow cake pan. Bake in slow oven (325º F.) about 25 minutes.

Cut into bars and roll in confectioners’ sugar.

Makes about 24 bars.

Respected Contributor

I wonder if my grandma made a basic meringue cookie and just stuck a date in the center.   I know they were white and when you bit into them, you found a date, I remember the package of the dates, it was rectangular box approx 3" x 6".   I haven't shopped for dates in a long time, I'll have to check next time I go to the grocery store.

I'll try that and see if that works, I love date bars too, maybe have to make those too.

Dog gone it, I was a little girl and wished I watched more closely and she made these sponge cake squares, frosted them and covered them in coconut.  They weren't exactly square though, the sponge cake was made in a 9x13 pan and then cut up into squares, some rectangles, in other words, they weren't measured evening but they were sure good. 

So if there are any "young" forum readers, I still consider myself young though, make sure you watch and write down your family recipes, what's printed now is nothing like the good old fashioned recipes.

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling

I never heard of meringue cookies with dates either.  Out of curiosity I "googled" it and there are recipes listed for them.