Valued Contributor

I made a sweet potato casserole to serve for Thanksgiving tomorrow, and I forgot to drain the canned sweet potatoes that the recipe called for. Is there any way I can salvage this? Any suggestions will be most appreciated. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Help please Re: Casserole

Try dumping all into a finely meshed sieve and place a bowl underneath.

Press with a large spoon to try to remove excess liquid.

Been there.

Honored Contributor

I would drain the casserole and start over with just the potatoes.

Respected Contributor

@Ladylaughsalot You've gotten a couple of good suggestions.  Is your problem that you've already assembled it, including your topping?

Maybe if you bake it at a slightly higher heat some of the liquid will cook off.

My theory is there has to be one flawed side dish every Thanksgiving.  My goof is usually getting interrupted and scorching the bottom of my cut up rutabagas.  As long as the turkey isn't ruined I'm a happy camper!

Super Contributor

I would probably just go for it... cook it anyway maybe a little longer.  I think the only real thing that can  mess up a Thanksgiving dinner is  bland and lumpy GRAVY !  LOL    All is forgiven if the gravy is good, that's what my mom says anyway.  

Valued Contributor

Two ideas: 1/ use a large spoon to pull off as much liquid as you can or 2/ mix a tablespoon of corn starch with a small amount of liquid and stir it in.  Depending on the size of the casserole, you could go up to 1/4 cup maybe, just dissolve in a small amount of liquid.  Even the liquid pulled from the casserole would work.  Once it cooks it should thicken it up without changing the taste of the dish.  Flour would thicken it too, but I think would alter the flavor you are going for.

Sometimes I just call things soup.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ladylaughsalot   Take off excess liquid with a turkey baster.  Maybe make a slurry of cornstarch and some of the liquid and add to thicken (cornstarch needs to be boiling to thicken so let it bubble in the oven), maybe add some bread cubes with a little cinnamon, beat up some eggs and cream and pour over and call it a sweet potato bread pudding!

Look up recipes for bread pudding and since it's Turkey Day--WING IT!!!!  Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You found a recipe using canned sweet potatoes???? As soon as I finish this cup of coffee I'm headed to the kitchen to start peeling my bag of them to cube and boil. Yeeeesh. wish I'd known. But don't worry about yours. I think someone else mentioned this but I'd just scoop them out and put them in a stainer for awhile then re-assemble. If the marshmallows or pecans or both are already on there just carefully pluck them off till you strain it. Or, raise one end of your pan with something and let the juice drain to one end then carefully pour it off. If I'm repeating what you've already been told, sorry, no time to read the whole thread, gotta get busy peeling.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

You found a recipe using canned sweet potatoes???? As soon as I finish this cup of coffee I'm headed to the kitchen to start peeling my bag of them to cube and boil. Yeeeesh. wish I'd known. But don't worry about yours. I think someone else mentioned this but I'd just scoop them out and put them in a stainer for awhile then re-assemble. If the marshmallows or pecans or both are already on there just carefully pluck them off till you strain it. Or, raise one end of your pan with something and let the juice drain to one end then carefully pour it off. If I'm repeating what you've already been told, sorry, no time to read the whole thread, gotta get busy peeling.

@shaggygirl My mother always used canned sweet potatoes.  She would put them in the stand mixer for a minute or two because she said if there were strings of potato in the an it got out those tough potato strings.

She made the marshmallow topped thing and you really couldnt tell the difference.  The later on the marshmallows changed and started catching fire EVERY year in the oven.

So we switched to simple baked sweet potatoes and we liked that better.  Shaggy dog story there for you!  Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner 

Thank You for your story...but now I'm hoping my marshmallows don't catch fire today, lol.

Have a happy!