Honored Contributor

Re: Help! I need a 🥧 chiatrist!

@Shem 

Hi, and welcome to the boards!Smiley Happy

I had training very similar to you but took the design route in Home Economics and spent my career with color and design.  I did teach all both of our two foods offerings since my second major was chemistry.  I was the healthy cook, lol!

I am a professional stylist now.

Respected Contributor

Why sweat the small stuff? You can buy very good frozen pie crust.  Recently I read an article that said for the price, you cannot beat Marie Callender.

I always have a package of 2 in the freezer.  I crumble one, add sugar and a little flour for a great crumb topping on a homemade apple pie.

Respected Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

Why sweat the small stuff? You can buy very good frozen pie crust.  Recently I read an article that said for the price, you cannot beat Marie Callender.

I always have a package of 2 in the freezer.  I crumble one, add sugar and a little flour for a great crumb topping on a homemade apple pie.

Hi @lulu1 !

I know that to a lot of people, making your own pie crust seems way too much of a pain. But to many others, doing that is a joy! Satisfying too.

Sure, I could easily order a pizza, but digging in to a homemade one is amazing! 

Different strokes. Smiley Very Happy

8DC1D45D-6966-4EEC-BA1A-D4B89AD6EACE.JPG

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

@house_cat ,

If you leave a pie crust dough in the fridge overnight, you need to let it sit on the kitchen counter a minimum of 10 minutes, still wrapped in plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out, before attempting to roll it out.  

A pie crust dough is typically formed into a flat disk, wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for 1 hour.  This allows the flour in the dough to become fully hydrated.  The dough is then brought to room temperature by letting it sit on the counter, still wrapped.  If the dough still seems a little stiff, gently pound the disk a few times with the rolling pin to soften.

Respected Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

@lulu1 wrote:

Hi @lulu1 !

I know that to a lot of people, making your own pie crust seems way too much of a pain. But to many others, doing that is a joy! Satisfying too.

Sure, I could easily order a pizza, but digging in to a homemade one is amazing! 

Different strokes. Smiley Very Happy

8DC1D45D-6966-4EEC-BA1A-D4B89AD6EACE.JPG

@sabatini 

Your pizza looks scrumptious.

I don't always use frozen pie crusts; at times I enjoy making it from scratch. (and I make homemade pizza) Just a suggestion for those among us who either do not have the time, patience or skills to make homemade crust.

Honored Contributor

@River Song 

Thank you for the explaination.  I don't generally leave the dough overnight, which might have made the difference.

I should add that DH had a slice tonight and gave it 👍👍.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Thanks, everyone!

@Shem   So, you are an actual 🥧 chiatrist!

I do always make disks and it was thoroughly chilled. The dough was definitely not too dry, if anything it was wetter than usual.  I may have attacked it too agressively with the roller when I started, because I was hurrying. I will be more gentle next time, as you described.  It's puzzling because I've been using this recipe for years and had considered it to be foolproof. I guess this fool proved herself wrong, lol. 

In any case, I pretty much threw the rest of the crust on top and baked it.  I'm sure it will taste yummy and DH and I will enjoy it, but I'm glad I didn't make it for guests.

Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 5.33.25 PM.png

@house_cat  For all the trouble that crust gave you, that is one GOOD LOOKING pie! If I baked that for company I would have just said that it was "rustic". LOL Woman LOL 

Would love to be able to share a piece with you. Enjoy it.

Honored Contributor

@Queen of shop 

Thank you.  The color is wrong in the photo... it actually looked quite good, though "rustic" as you so diplomatically put it!

~ house cat ~
Contributor

I agree!!!!  The pie looks delicious!!!!

Honored Contributor

My husband and I have lived in Socal all our lives. He is a wonderful baker; his pie crust are the best ever. I don't think that weather here (what we think of as humidity is nothing compared to elsewhere) has any detectable effect pie crusts.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland