Respected Contributor

Re: Help Build a Recipe w/ Corn

[ Edited ]

@Harpa 

I've made this recipe (below) many times and wlll keep doing so.  To me, the Jiffy corn muffin mix is sweet enough without adding sugar, although some versions of this recipe call for sugar.

You can use fresh instead of canned whole corn kernels, but keep in the creamed corn.

I don't add the cheese or Ritz crackers, although I've seen many versions that call for it. To me it requires only a handful of simple ingredients, and to me it tastes like dessert.  Nobody doesn't like it!!

CORN CASSEROLE

1 (15 1/4 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained

1 (14 3/4 oz.) can cream-style corn

1 (8 oz.) box Jiffy corn muffin mix

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup sour cream

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

1 to 1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar--I don't add this

1 cup crushed Ritz crackers--I don't add this

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In large bowl,  beat or whisk eggs, add melted butter,  sour cream, muffin mix and two cans of corn. Stir all.

Pour into greased 2.5-qt. casserole dish.

Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with optional Cheddar and crushed Ritz crackers. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 

Thank you!!

Honored Contributor

I make corn fritters on a fairly regular basis. I typically fry them but you could try making them in the silicone mold and baking them. 

I use 1 cup self-rising flour.

2 cups cooked corn

1/2 cup milk

2 eggs

1/2 teaspoon salt. 

Pepper to taste. (I tend to use a lot.)

Just combine it all and then cook it. I typically either pan fry in shallow oil (if my self-rising flour is a bit dead) or deep fry (if the self-rising flour is especially active. The pan-frying gives you a flatter fritter while the deep frying gives you a rounder, ball-type fritter. Both are very good. (When pan-fried some people call them corn oysters as they tend to come out more oyster shaped.) Right now I'm still using up some dead-ish White Lily flour, so I go more pan-frying than deep-frying.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Here's a photo of some of the corn fritters/oysters made last Thursday. These were the shallow pan-fried/oyster type. They're very good.

IMG_20210506_120843533 edited.jpg

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

How about corn bread corn kernel muffins?  Buy the Jiffy Corn Bread mix and add how many kernels you want to a muffin tin cup.

kindness is strength