Honored Contributor

Heirloom tomato abundanza! Help!

My son and DIL keep bringing me more and more home grown heirloom tomatoes. I'm not a big tomato fan and never eat them raw. Can I make sauce out of them?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Heirloom tomato abundanza! Help!

@house_cat I saw a lady on tv who dried her tomatoes to use in soups, casseroles, etc. throughout the year. I would think there would be some suggestions online for freezing them if you do not have a gadget that dries veggies.

Esteemed Contributor

Make sauce and freeze in quart or gallon Ziploc bags. Whatever size suits your needs.

Lay flat in the freezer, Pioneer Woman style. No need for canning jars.

Esteemed Contributor

Re-gift them to people who love fresh, sliced tomatoes! Heirlooms are wonderful just sliced with S&P, or served with cottage cheese or tuna salad (or chicken salad).

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat  You can chop them up and freeze them in ziploc bags or quart containers and make them into soup or sauce later. Or, you can cook them down now with basil, onion and garlic for pasta sauce. Then you can freeze the sauce. I do both.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Re-gift them to people who love fresh, sliced tomatoes! Heirlooms are wonderful just sliced with S&P, or served with cottage cheese or tuna salad (or chicken salad).

@jannabelle1 Or between two pieces of white bread with mayo!  Crusts removed please and a light sprinkle of salt!  Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Absolutely you can make sauce out of them! You can also make chow chow. Of course all of the things you can do mostly require canning. You can also just give them to me! I love love love tomatoes!

Respected Contributor

@house_cat  Send them down here! Heirloom tomatoes are selling for $5.99 per pound at the farm stand I go to. We LOVE summer tomatoes!

Respected Contributor

Tomato and cheese sandwich cooked like a grilled cheese sandwich. Brushetta- slice and grill crusty French bread, chop tomato, buy fresh mozzarella balls and slice, then stack tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil leaves on each bread slice and drizzle with olive oil. If you don't love it you can bring it to a party as an appetizer.

Honored Contributor

The best Bloody Mary I ever had was made with homemade tomato juice. Make juice! It's so good.