Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone tried Oprah's new food products ?

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Once you start making your own homemade soups, you’ll never buy the prepared stuff. I’m retired now but when I was working, Sunday afternoons were cooking time. In September and October, I’d make a batch of soups, all of which were a meal unto themselves. I froze them and simply heated them up when I came home from work. Sometimes I’d serve with a salad but didn’t really have to. A great baguette would complete the meal. None of this was rocket science. I’m all for convenience but homemade is always best.

I did that a lot when I worked and continued now even though I'm retired.  I just had a house built and bought mostly new things for the house and I started running up my VISA.  I pay large amounts toward it each month and even though it's almost paid off, at the beginning when my check is direct deposited and the balance is more flush I take a Sunday and STILL cook large batches of soup and meals and break it down into individual sized meals and freeze.  

Right now I have beef veggie soup and baked ziti "packets".  When I get to the end of the month and not a lot of money to grocery shop I just pull out a meal, thaw out and reheat.  Soup will be happening more once it gets cold!

Honored Contributor

At my local WW site, they have her cookbook and a few of the spices she uses in her cookbook that are packaged in little jars with the WW logo and Oprahs name. The thing is they don't sell, nor does her cookbook. Why? Don't know but I can tell you why I won't buy the items:

A jar of her spice is TINY and sells for $8 plus. I mean, TINY. Nope, not when I can buy the same or similar in a traditional size jar for $5. That makes the cost of her spice $32 and up for the size you usually buy at the grocery store. Nope, nope, nope.

Her cookbook is NOT WW friendly and this has ticked MANY people off, not just me. I get she's the big-whig for WW and all that but to showcase her cookbook where the food is over the top in points and where the ingredient list is VERY expensive (many of the ingredients are costly, not found locally and have to be ordered from places she suggests) is a slap in the face to those who are trying to lose weight AND are already paying quite a bit for the meetings/weight in. There are no points listed in her cookbook so you have to break everything down to figure it out. The few that I did that looked really good would have had me using almost 60% of my daily point allowance for a small serving (that's why I don't eat cake, cookies, ice cream, fast food because the points are so high in those foods for what you get). None of my fellow members are interested in Oprahs WW/food items (the ones who I've discussed this with). Funny thing, when her products are brought up at meetings, the leader will allow discussion as long as it's positive but if it's a not, she immediately directs the conversation to something else (does the same thing with ANY WW product).

We all know why, lol. Those that refuse to play along simply keep forcing the issue until it IS discussed and the leader is usually not to happy. Oh well!

Honored Contributor

I must have missed something. I thought that the OP asked "Has anyone tried Oprah's new food products," not "Let's bash Oprah, yet again."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Soup is one easy thing to make & you control the ingredients. So many celebrities have products (Paul Newman, QVC has many celebrites too with their products) Many doctors, lawyers & wealthy people invest in resturants & real estate. When we buy products most of us don't know who is invested in that product. Oprah put her name on it so she is taking a chance the product will sell sometimes that may be a bad thing. We control where our money will be spent not the investors. In today's Sunday's paper there is a coupon for $1 off of her products if you are interested also you may be able to download it.  

Honored Contributor

Lots of saturated fat and sodium.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vabreeze,  Don't get upset.  The other wealthy people you mentioned are not in your face like Oprah.  I am just sick of seeing her all the time when she was supposedly retired.  All the other people you mentioned earned their money too but they are not plastered on magazine covers, have their own TV channel.  Oprah is too self centered for me.  This is MY opinion.  Cat Tongue  P.S.  I will probably try her soup!!!!

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Probably won't buy. Most canned soups are loaded with sodium.

Honored Contributor

I do love to cook and don't mind doing so but.....there are times that circumstances come up and I may find myself in the grocery store picking up prepared soup so yes I would buy her products.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I didn't know she had her own product line until I saw them a few weeks ago in a store by me.  I was thinking of trying one but to be honest the price stopped me (as someone mentioned earlier they were $5.99 and looked like maybe a one and one half serving).  I would probably give one a try if they ever run them on sale.

Honored Contributor

I'll never knowingly purchase anything she's connected with.  I don't want even one cent of my money going to her.