Trusted Contributor

Has anyone tried Dalgona coffee?

I felt adventurous yesterday and tried my had at a recipe for the latest internet craze, Dalgona coffee.  Not sure if it's origin is Greece (apparently called a Frappe there), or Korea, but it's whipped up instant coffee with an equal amount of sugar and water, then that foamy creamy coffee goodness is poured over milk.  

It tasted ok, like a sweet extra creamy cappucino.  Don't think I'd make it on a regular basis, but since it wasn't a high calorie treat, it served it's purpose.

Has anyone else tried this?  If you're looking for a recipe or method, just search 'Dalgona coffee' on you tube!  

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone tried Dalgona coffee?

I tried it & it's good...I usually drink iced chai tea & iced carmel macchiato, both with nonfat milk.

Trusted Contributor

@Sammijo10 

I am anxious to try it. I bought some instant coffee the other day but haven't made it yet. 

Trusted Contributor

@Tribesters I used two tablespoons of instant coffee (it was even a decaf instant!), sugar and water.  At the end of whipping, I added about a teaspoon of plain cocoa powder (what the heck!) and sure enough, it whipped up just like an egg white!  

I put that mixture in about a half cup of low fat milk, stirred it up and it was pretty tasty.  Give it a try.

Respected Contributor

How warm is the water you used? I’ve just seen 2 Tbsp of warm water so not sure.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kindaglitzy , to tell the truth, it was room temp water.  I missed the part about making the water warm!  I do think warm water would have better dissolved the instant coffee and sugar, as I did detect a few crystal like items in the final product, but that didn't make it taste any less good.  

Counting the calories for the sugar and the low fat milk, it's not a bad treat.  And that whipped texture makes you feel like its a much more decadent splurge.

Also, I've seen some on you tube leave the whipped layer on top and sip it 'through' the milk. Others have said that it's supposed to be mixed in.  I tried it with the foam layer on top and it was too strong for me.  Mixed in with the milk, it was like a coffee milkshake and the flavor was much better.  

Respected Contributor

@Sammijo10 Thanks for responding. I forgot about dissolving the coffee. I’m going to try it with Truvia, which I have heard works and drink mixed with almond milk which would be 1 point total on my weight loss program. With sugar 6 points, not bad but would rather try the other first. All the videos I’ve seen, it looks good as long as person likes coffee!
Trusted Contributor

@Kindaglitzy , I am on WW too.  I used the sugar because I didn't think it would work with Truvia.  If it does, post back and let me know.  I did cut back the sugar a bit for mine and added a tsp of cocoa powder.  I don't remember the measurements I used now but the whole thing came to 6 points.  I kept me from eating some other things with WAY more points than 6!  

Respected Contributor

@Sammijo10: I made this awhile ago with Truvia and seemed to whip okay. I used an espresso instant coffee which may have been a little too strong. Anyway, whipped with my electric hand mixer, took about five minutes. Mixed with about a cup of unsweetened almond milk and have to say I enjoyed it. When I say mixed with the milk, put milk in glass and then Dalgona on top and stirred as I was drinking it. So yes, with Truvia it did whip okay. I also read a post on Instagram last night that had a lot of comments and a few said they make it with no sweetener at all and drink on top of a protein shake such as Premier Vanilla. Going to try no sweetener next time.
Honored Contributor

have no tried it yet, but this recipe is all over facebook. i have seen so many posts about it lately.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein