Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone here made chicken soup with boneless thighs?

Do you use the meat in the soup from the chicken pieces used to make the broth/stock, or do you feel the flavor was sucked out for the stock and it is better to use fresh thighs for the chunks of meat in the soup?

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

I've replaced chicken breasts with thighs in most of the my recipes. I still use chicken cutlets or small breasts if I'm breading and sautéing them with a sauce. If a recipe calls for a whole cut up chicken, I use breasts and sometimes legs. They are our favorite because they are moist and flavorful. So I think they would be wonderful in soup.

Honored Contributor

On 2/24/2015 misschristy said:

I've replaced chicken breasts with thighs in most of the my recipes. I still use chicken cutlets or small breasts if I'm breading and sautéing them with a sauce. If a recipe calls for a whole cut up chicken, I use breasts and sometimes legs. They are our favorite because they are moist and flavorful. So I think they would be wonderful in soup.

Yes! I used to use a whole rotisserie chicken in my soup but just started using boneless, skinless chicken thighs last year and it's delicious. I also find that the thighs are less likely to get tough or rubbery in a crock pot than chicken breasts.

Respected Contributor

Any type of chicken part will do.

Honored Contributor

Last Saturday, it snowed all day and I didn't get out to do my grocery shopping. I used boneless chicken thighs and 1 chicken breast to make soup because I didn't have any whole chicken or pieces with bones.

My soup turned out very well, but to be honest, I prefer my soup made with the boney chicken pieces.

Honored Contributor

I make lots of chicken broth of "parts" but when it comes to meat, I always use breast meat in soups, dumplings and most casseroles. I do use light and dark meat in dressing, but that's about all that I do use dark meat in. I just prefer the chunks of all white.