Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone here made chicken soup with boneless thighs?

Well, I did for the first time. Usually I'd make soup with the bones in, like drummies, etc. but didn't have any, so I did make a very delicious chicken noodle soup with 6 boneless thighs. With onion, celery, some kale, basil and barley. Wonderful! I will do this again.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone here made chicken soup with boneless thighs?

Hi, Gloriajean.

I like using boneless chicken thighs. It's much more flavorful.

Esteemed Contributor

bri - it sure is! I used a tablespoon of Himalayan Pink Salt in too. All organic ingredients.

Honored Contributor

It sounds delicious, GJ.

I love putting barley in soup too.

Honored Contributor

Just made chicken soup, but mine was made from bone-in thighs. The thighs make much better tasting soup than breasts, IMO. I put, celery, onions, carrots, barley and noodles in also. Very thick, more like a stew, which is how I like soup. Made enough to freeze some for another day. You just can't beat homemade chicken soup!

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

On 2/24/2015 snickster said:

Just made chicken soup, but mine was made from bone-in thighs. The thighs make much better tasting soup than breasts, IMO. I put, celery, onions, carrots, barley and noodles in also. Very thick, more like a stew, which is how I like soup. Made enough to freeze some for another day. You just can't beat homemade chicken soup!

I agree, makes a really good chicken soup w/thighs, I find breast too dry

Honored Contributor

We make chicken soup with mustard cabbage this way.

Honored Contributor

i prefer to use pieces from the entire chicken.....that is why using a partially eaten rotisserie chicken works so well......you have the white meat, dark meat, and the flavorful bones. you can pretty much use any part of the chicken with or without bones. is there ever a BAD chicken soup? Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Neat tip from Cooks's Illustrated this month - take the skin off the raw chicken and brown it very well in a saute pan, then add that to the soup (remove later.) They say it gives the broth more flavor than bones.

I usually roast a whole chicken, and after the first dinner, remove all the meat from the bones and use the bones to make stock. Once the stock is cooked (3 hrs.) strain and chill. Remove the fat, then put it back on the stove and reduce by about 2/3. Freeze in ice cube trays. You will have cubes of very flavorful concentrated stock ready to go for a quick sauce or soup.

Honored Contributor

On 2/24/2015 sunshine45 said:

i prefer to use pieces from the entire chicken.....that is why using a partially eaten rotisserie chicken works so well......you have the white meat, dark meat, and the flavorful bones. you can pretty much use any part of the chicken with or without bones. is there ever a BAD chicken soup? Wink

That is what I do also. I throw them in a freezer bag into the freezer and when I have two I get out the stock pot and add onion, celery, carrots, bay leaves and cook for hours. Then I strain and freeze the stock so it is ready to go whenever I want to make soup.