Respected Contributor

Re: Grapefruits Are Good Now!

@patbz wrote:

Since DH and I have both been on Lipitor forever so (my understanding is) no grapefruit for us!

I'm not on Lipitor but a few years ago I was going to be having surgery on my eye and I wasn't allowed to eat grapefruit for a few weeks before surgery.  

I never thought to ask why grapefruit was contraindicated with any of the medications used during or after surgery.  

Does anyone know?

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Good to hear!

I've been craving some ruby red grapefruit!

Have you ever purchased the 8oz containers of red grapefruit that they sell at Costco?

I believe the carton contains about 12 little cups of grapefruit in the juice.

It's not quite as good as a fresh grapefruit but it's still pretty tasty.   We always purchase them in the winter when good fruit is difficult to find in our local stores.

Honored Contributor

Oh....grapefruits are too sour for me.  I don't ear sour, tart or salty foods.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Since DH and I have both been on Lipitor forever so (my understanding is) no grapefruit for us!

I've also read that it interferes with thyroid medicine. I love grapefruit and miss having it.

Honored Contributor

@Luvtuna wrote:

@patbz wrote:

I've also read that it interferes with thyroid medicine. I love grapefruit and miss having it.

@Luvtuna I've also read take it four hours before or after Synthroid. . . who knows?

Esteemed Contributor

I dearly love fresh grapefruit with a little salt on top of each half! But I take Lisinopril, so I guess I'm still not allowed my favorite grapefruit.....although I do have one or two in the winter. I don't think my cholesterol will get out of whack with one or two.

Valued Contributor

Texas gratefruit is my guilty pleasure!!!!!! I only eat red grapefruit in the winder and only buy the Texas red. they are sweet and tart and juicy

Contributor

Same here, thanks for the info Sooner.   Love the Ruby Reds and I'll be buying one soon.

Honored Contributor

If you are ever in a Sur La Table store or ordering from them they have the best grapefruit spoons ever!  The teeth on the edges are very sharp and will dig that section right out of the peel!  

I use it all the time too for scraping and getting avocado out of the shell and things like that in the kitchen.

They are expensive (for a spoon) but I use mine a lot.  

Respected Contributor

I love grapefruit, and peel and eat them like oranges. The pith has healthful bioflavanoids, too.

What worries you masters you.