Respected Contributor

Re: Gourmet holiday – outrageous prices!

Last month on HSN they had a food item featured that interested me. Since it was a little pricey I held off and told myself to think about until the evening. I had a 20% off coupon so broke down and bought it for a December delivery.

This item was shown the other day. I compared the price from when I purchased it. The price had jumped considerably. Granted I had used a coupon but the price difference was $60 from a month before. 

Prices are crazy everywhere.

Respected Contributor

@Dans mom wrote:
The prices on gourmet holiday for the last couple of years have increased to where every day people cannot afford them. I noticed today for their 5 hour gourmet holiday show that they had pies; sweet potato and peach that were $75.98 for two pies. Do you really think a family can afford to pay that for two pies? Is QVC trying to establish a higher class group and leave out middle income families who can’t afford these prices but yet watch the show to look for food items that they normally wouldn’t find in their local supermarket. And why do they have to make some desserts so large in size (4 or 5# Cakes)? And have you noticed that on the portion size that the host or seller say are not really portion sizes that every day people would do.

@Dans mom 

There are many other cheaper food sources including Walmart and local grocery store chains where you can shop. Why bemoan this particular food source? There are other high end priced food suppliers like gold belly, whole foods, local boutique grocery stores, have you complained on their sites too?

Honored Contributor

Not every food item on the Q is high.  I order Just Bagels and always get them when they're a TSV, and put them on auto-delivery.  I have two A/Ds at the moment, each $29.98 (24 bagels), free shipping.

I love these bagels and can't easily get them anywhere near me.  They're shipped to my door and I'm happy with that and the price.

As with everything, if you can't afford something, pass on it and purchase elsewhere.

Respected Contributor

The specialty bakery in my neighborhood charges $30 for pies.  Getting there is a hassle, their hours and limited and the parking lot is too narrow for my SUV.  In that regard, these pies don't seem so out of line.

New Contributor

Kachina624
Your response is very rude! I thought this forum allowed you to make comments. This was not a complaint, but a comment-there’s a difference.
New Contributor

Foxxee
Thank you for welcoming me to the QVC forum. I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dans mom 

I agree that you received a totally unnecessary, insulting and snippy response to your post.  Certain posters have a frequent habit of forum participation in this rude manner.  We know who they are.  It's best to ignore them

About food prices on QVC...

I've ordered a very limited amount of meat/seafood products from QVC and  realize that the  often-premium price must include the  shipping materials that have to be used for perishable food.   QVC does not add on a separate shipping charge for most food products.

And if you've checked shipping charges on various types  of catalog items these days, no matter what the product is.........YIKES!!

Frequent Contributor

I have in the past ordered food items from Q....back when things were more reasonable...but no longer.  Luckily I have a meat store not far from me, where I now do my shopping.  I always ha great luck with Rastelli's products, and I think their pork ribeyes is the best piece of pig I ever ate, but the meat market's prices are a whole lot lower, and comes very close in taste.  I used to order the scones from David's Cookies, but the price is now $4 a scone....more than I care to spend.  Y'all can spend your $$$ any way and anywhere you like, but I've backed way off from Q.