Super Contributor

I know exactly what you mean! I love Corelle for the same reason- it is light weight. My sister gave us a set of her Corelle probably 10 years ago and it is still going strong. Easy to use, easy to wash and store. I was thinking of taking a look in Walmart at the new Corelle designs just for a change. Yes, Corelle and its light weight is great for ease of use! Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@eddyandme   I believe you are right about the microwave.  My original Corelle (circa 1970's) did get very hot but my new pieces do not get hot just warm.

Thanx, good to know @grandma2pkmh .

Respected Contributor

@FlyersGirl wrote:

@ciao_bella  was it Indian Summer? After reading this thread I checked in my basement storage and discovered that I still have my old Indian Summer set of Corelle. It has the gold border and I think I bought it in the late 70s for my first apartment. 😁 My SIL also had an old set called Butterfly Gold that had a gold border pattern.

@FlyersGirl  Yes, Indian Summer I believe is the name of the set.  Thank you...

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

Re: Going Back to Corelle

[ Edited ]

I love Corelle.  I'm still using Spring Meadow for every day.  It was originally a shower or wedding gift back in the late 70s.  I've bought new pieces on eBay to replace the faded dishes.

I bought a set of Corelle Christmas dishes on eBay a few years ago.  And I have a lot of serving pieces and baking dishes.

Corelle is made in my town (one of the places) so it's popular here.  And they often have great sales at the plant.

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I wonder why everyone isn't using Corelle.  

@Foxxee 

Because we don't all like/love the same things.  That's what makes life interesting.  I love my Fiesta dinnerware in many, many colors.  The weight doesn't bother me, even though I have arthritis.   I just emptied out a family member's house and gave his Corelle to Goodwill because I don't like the look or feel of it.  No right or wrong to it; just different strokes for different folks.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Valued Contributor

Great minds...I did the same thing.

I loved my Fiesta - I had rainbow colored plates bowls cups, etc.  I kept the bowls and cups and some serving dishes but ditched the plates. They're just too heavy for my 66 year old self to put away Smiley Happy  

I was able to purchase the white corelle with a raised design (all white) - it looks like they don't make it anymore.

Now emptying the dishwasher is a breeze. I donated the plates to Goodwill.

Super Contributor

I recently got rid of my mother's old Corelle set (white with a wide bright fruit border) when I discoverfed a website that listed the lead content of the old Corelle sets, and that one was full of it. So, I ordered new Corelle -- the classic Blue Cornflower pattern that was resurrected for a brief time -- and appreciate the light weight and durability. I hated the mugs that came with it and gave those away. Big heavy ceramic things.

I have some sets of Pioneer Woman dishes that I love and continue to use, but I alternate with the Corelle.

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

I wonder why everyone isn't using Corelle.  

@Foxxee 

Because we don't all like/love the same things.  That's what makes life interesting.  I love my Fiesta dinnerware in many, many colors.  The weight doesn't bother me, even though I have arthritis.   I just emptied out a family member's house and gave his Corelle to Goodwill because I don't like the look or feel of it.  No right or wrong to it; just different strokes for different folks.

@shoesnbags 

Lol.  I was expecting someone to reply to my comment from at least one who doesn't like Corelle.  Not surprising.  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch - I also use Longaberger dishes as my everyday ones, and have for a while. My first everyday dishes were Laura Ashley, and I still love them. 

But I inherited my grandmother's Fiesta dishes, and I liked "playing" with the different colors. The only thing was because they were old I wouldn't put them in the microwave or dishwasher. (Still use them some too!). I was already a fan of Longaberger. My closest friends to this day were. When they came out with the dishes I just wanted one place setting of each color. Somehow our consultant arranged for that, and because I ordered frequently and had the neighborhood "holiday" party (in the fall), she got me one of each color- over a period of time!  The last ones I got were the limited edition turquoise and sunflower yellow, just the plates. We use them in the summer, when sage, paprika, butternut, etc. get put away for a while.

I just like bright colors! One of my good friends had a pretty well-known chef come into her home for a cooking lesson- that we watched and then ate! He came to her home a few days before to check everything out. He didn't TELL her to buy white dishes, but he told her one should always use white dishes so the food can be the "decoration" on the plate. She went to Williams Sonoma and bought service for 12. The dinner plates are a tad bigger than usual, and it's a nice set. But I like color!  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

I'd really like to have corelle, but if I remember correctly years ago you couldn't use it in the microwave as it gets too hot to touch.  Have they solved that problem?

@eddyandme  You might be thinking about melamine. That was and is not microwave safe. I think Corelle is safe, but it does get hot. I bought a set of Pfaltzgraff service for 12 when I got married in the '70s. By the time my children were growing up I put the Pfaltzgraft aside for special occasions and started using Corelle. I like the fact that I can buy the white pieces in my grocery store, and it doesn't take up nearly as much space in my cabinets.