Honored Contributor

Impressed with Dishwasher detergent

[ Edited ]

I made macaroni and cheese and put it in a Corning dish.

My husband happened to finish the macaroni and cheese and put the Corning dish in the dishwasher. I would have cleaned much of the cheese stuck to the dish before putting in the dishwasher. But I figured I would just clean whatever cheese was still stuck on the dish after I ran the dishwasher. And I didn't run the dishwasher for another day.

Last night I ran the dishwasher. When it was finished the Corning dish was spotless. I could not believe it. There was no cheese on the dish. I figured since it wasn't washed immediately there would be cheese stuck on the dish.

I had been a faithful Cascade user for 40+ years. But the last 2 containers of Cascade jel dishwasher detergent were like water. And I would end up having to clean about 1/4 of the dishes after I ran the dishwasher.

Decided to try Finish Quantum. I have not had to wash any dish in numerous loads. And the true test was the dish that had dried macaroni and cheese. It was spotless after running the dishwasher. I am so impressed.

Honored Contributor

Re: Impressed with Dishwasher detergent

@drizzellla   I don't remember what my dishwasher problem was, but some years ago I had a repairman suggest he was seeing fewer problems caused by Finish than by Cascade.

As for the overnight delay -  I don't use anywhere near enough dishes to run my dishwasher daily.  I do scrape and rinse because it's usually at least 3 days. but the second day I often just put things into the machine.  Works most often.

Respected Contributor

On the topic of dish detergent...

If you haven't tried Dawn Power Wash ( comes out as a foam) for your shower walls, try it!!!

I figure most soap has either a fat or oil/grease base, and Dawn is famous for cutting grease. When used on pots and pans, it cuts grease from food, oil from food, and burnt on food. So why not soap scum?

And if you really want power, spray the Dawn Power Wash and spray plain white vinegar at the same time. I don't mix the two in the bottle, have a separate bottle for the vinegar..just spray both on the wall at once.

I do it after my hot shower, when the walls are still warm and wet. Spray on, let it stand a few minutes while you dry off, then spray it off with your hand sprayer ( or wipe off with a rag or sponge.).

the surface will be like new.!!!

I suppose water quality may have some effect on it's performance...but my well water is not "soft" but not really "hard" either....can make suds easily.

Sometimes I do it while I'm IN the shower...get everything wet, turn off the water, spray the powerwash, and use a Scrub Daddy in it's cold phase ( with a bowl of cold water) to go over the walls.

I use this mixture once a week in my shower just to keep up and NOT have to scrub.

IF you have a buildup of soap scum, spray a heavy amount on it (like a recessed or horizontal bar soap shelf). Let it sit, Scrub Daddy it, and good to go.

I was REALLY impressed with the Dawn Powerwash in the shower and recommend it to everyone. If you start using it on a clean surface, it will make those walls squeak!!!

I figure dish soap is made for most washable culinary surfaces and  is safe for skin ,but if you're worried, try it somewhere inconspicuous.

Try it!

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen Does the Dawn Powerwash make the tub slippery?

Honored Contributor

I have not used the power wash in the shower to clean my tiled shower ,but do use dawn ,in a spray bottle ,and a scrub brush.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen  I was out of my normal prewash spot/stain remover on a shirt that I got grease on from cooking, so gave the grease spots a spritz with the Dawn Power Wash and washed it in the washing machine as usual.   Came out beautiful with grease spots completely gone.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

@drizzellla 

It IS soap... so yes you must be careful.

I love the way it makes the bathroom smell too!!!

Honored Contributor

I also use dawn for spot treatments on clothes ,the regular blue dawn,works great.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think Dawn Power Wash is the best product.  I use it for so many things.  I do it use it on my glass shower door, as well as on tough laundry stains.  

I was always a faithful Cascade user.  I noticed that the glasses were spotting.  I switched to Finish and everything comes out sparkling now.  

If I am not able to get dishes or bowls into the dishwasher right away for whatever reason, I rinse them so the food doesn't dry and stuck on there. 

Honored Contributor

I can say without a doubt, do not waste your money on Clorox dishwasher detergent.  I bought a large container of it because it was on sale plus the store had a really good coupon.  I think this was when it was first introduced.  That was the worst dishwasher detergent I have ever used.