Honored Contributor

Re: Getting rust off of cast iron

[ Edited ]

I've been wanting to get his 10 in skillet haven't gotten around to it with ordering Foodi's. Maybe next month.

He advertised a pan that was all cast iron and I could tell by looking at it , it was really nice to put homemade rolls in , but, it weighed 8 lbs empty.

I don't want to handle anything that heavy and boy if you dropped it on your toe you'd be headed for the ER.

Stick with my light wgt stuff in my 'old' age. LOL

https://www.qvc.com/Geoffrey-Zakarian-9x13%22-Cast-Iron-Nonstick-Baker.product.K48209.html?sc=SRCH

Honored Contributor

BAR KEEPERS FRIEND

removes RUST...that's what it says on the can and it works, I've used it to remove rust on several things.

41QH5hxnLzL._SX425_.jpg

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I've been wanting to get his 10 in skillet haven't gotten around to it with ordering Foodi's. Maybe next month.

He advertised a pan that was all cast iron and I could tell by looking at it , it was really nice to put homemade rolls in , but, it weighed 8 lbs empty.

I don't want to handle anything that heavy and boy if you dropped it on your toe you'd be headed for the ER.

Stick with my light wgt stuff in my 'old' age. LOL

https://www.qvc.com/Geoffrey-Zakarian-9x13%22-Cast-Iron-Nonstick-Baker.product.K48209.html?sc=SRCH

@SharkE I have his largest skillet and love it for searing steaks and chops before finishing them in the oven. It is very heavy, but has a helpers handle. Nothing sticks to it. DH does the dishes. He knows to be careful with the non-stick coating, but all bets are off beyond that. He dries it and puts it back in the oven. We store it in the oven because we have a galley kitchen where space is limited and because it’s drier in there. So far, we haven’t had a problem with rust.

Honored Contributor

and you won't with the new stuff. That old timey stuff from way back is the stuff I detest. Rusty ol' heavy stuff. Poor women back in that day who had to do all that cooking without a/c lugging that heavy cast iron around and hand scrubbing it all day long.

Those heavy irons they had to press clothes with, hauling water from the well and creeks. I could go on and on with the life of the yesterday women.

Honored Contributor

There's a liquid you can buy.  You just brush it on, let it rest an wipe it right off.

My late husband used it all of the time for various projects.  He'd often use it for screens that had rusted.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

CLR Pro CL-4Pro Calcium, Lime and Rust Remover, 1 Gallon Bottle

There are a lot of them.  Supposedly this one got 4 stars, that means something to some people.  I'm more of "I'll believe it when "I" see it.  Ha!

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess To clean rust off of cast iron take some table salt mixed with a little warm water, just enough to make a paste with it, once it looks rust free take a lightly dampened paper towel and wipe off the salt past and dry . Place your cast iron in the oven on 300 for about 20 minutes , cool it will be very hot. Then lighty oil it with vegetable oil. And that should take care of it. Just don't ever let the cast iron get wet and stay wet. to clean it  wipe out grease or food. Then take a few damp paper towels or a cloth and wipe out with a lightly dampened cloth. And always dry it in the oven. cool and oil it again and wipe out the exceass oil.

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess I forgot to tell you to use steel wool with the salt paste to clean your cast iron.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

CLR Pro CL-4Pro Calcium, Lime and Rust Remover, 1 Gallon Bottle

There are a lot of them.  Supposedly this one got 4 stars, that means something to some people.  I'm more of "I'll believe it when "I" see it.  Ha!

I wouldn't fix food in anything that is a household chemical.