Honored Contributor

Getting rust off of cast iron

Just found my mother’s very old cast iron muffin pan that somehow got put in a box in the garage....it has a lot of rust on it but I know it can be cleaned...did a search but only found ads for buying stuff to spray on it....I know there is a way to remove the rust without going to the store...can anyone help?

i tried a Brillo pad on the bottom and some of the rust came off....but can’t use it in the muffin cups...they are deep and not very wide....TIA!

Regular Contributor

Re: Getting rust off of cast iron

[ Edited ]

Go to the Lodge Cast Iron website. They have great directions for use & care.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess 

I believe the other poster means LODGE cast iron:

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I would try rubbing the rusty areas with just fine steel wool (Brillo without the soap).

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much...don’t know why I didn’t think of that
Honored Contributor

Just FYI....the site pretty much suggest scrubbing off the rust and reseasoning.
Honored Contributor

Why somebody threw it in the garage. I hate that ol' heavy rusty stuff.

Rust will come back after you scrub on it.

to many newer modern materials now days like that Zaherian guy who sells his stuff  on Q to mess with that old time 'stuff'.

I had one way back in the 80's when I was a young girl and threw it in the landfill. I got one half cast iron and half aluminum that I saw at Walmart and never saw it again after I bought the last one and that thing is a wonder.

Don't have to baby it, can use dish detergent in it and rinse clean under faucet. Half the wgt.

I fried chicken in my original cast iron back in the 80's and read instructions on how not to use dish washing detergent in it , do not subject to extreme changes of temps from off the stove to letting it

soak in sink overnight. who has all that free time? 

Modern cast iron has been improved trying to scape chicken bits out of that thing even after a overnite soaking and if you tried to make gravy out of the chicken grease in one of those things and you can't scrub on it, etc.  I'm still mad after all these yrs. LOL   Not for me.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Use coca-cola and steel wool . 

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE AGREE............Chef "Z"  product is fab.  I bought the small frypan and went back for the middle size.  It's wonderful - use it almost every day.  Leave that old rusty stuff in your memory bank along with corded telephones and black & white TV.