Valued Contributor

I really struggle with breakfast so I have taken to smoothies,  You can buy packets now that are preportioned and you just add water,  Yesterday, on a wim, I added a splash of half and half.  Delish.This morning I added a splash of sugar free vanilla creamer, it tasted like a cream sickle.  Wonderful,  Just wanted to share.

Honored Contributor

Re: Fruit and veggie smoothies

It is fun to experiment with what you can add to a smoothie! I keep bananas that I forget to use before they get too ripe, cut them into chunks, then freeze. I add some chunks of them to smoothies and they really make it great. Just the frozen banana tastes like ice cream!
Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022   I buy big bags of frozen fruits, any/all kinds, I use whole organic milk and/or chobani plain whole milk yogurt (this yougurt is the best I've ever found), I add a banana (as I don't ususally have any in frozen fruit bag). I don't put in veggies.

Years ago I bought a Chris Freytag smoothie blender here in fact. It came with 2 big blender cups. Fill one, blend until smooth, take off blade, put on lid that came with. Drink & enjoy.

Enjoy your's!

Honored Contributor

I make smoothies everyday using all sorts of vegs but add just a couple fruits. You can really ingest a TON of sugar with those mixes. they may be convienent but not much else. I bet you would be surprised at the calories you are drinking. I need to watch all that myself.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got a NutriBullet when it was Q2-BigDeal specifically for smoothies and it is better than expected.  I have been experimenting but have not used yogurt, almond milks or any dairy as yet, just fruits to see the taste of the different fruit blends with  my favorite fruits.  We each have our own taste and for me it is the blue fruits, blueberries, blackberries and plums when available.  I always add mango and pineapple that has been frozen for tartness.  I will also add Granny Smith apple for tart, strawberry, nectarine if I have it.  The liquid is always pure Pom juice also sometimes unsweetened tea. These are absolutely delicious!  I have not tried any veges as yet and not sure that I want any other than carrot or celery. I have to keep my sugar down so I keep the smoothy about 8 oz and the amounts of fruits I add are determined by their individual sugar content.  Great late lunch or afternoon pickup and very filling....

Esteemed Contributor

I'm the only one that will drink smoothies.  I can drink any veggie smoothie as long as I add watermelon or pineapple. The problem the veggies always go bad before I can use them all. I haven't made smoothies in over a year.  Maybe this year I'll give it another try and roast some of the veggies too.

Respected Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I'm the only one that will drink smoothies.  I can drink any veggie smoothie as long as I add watermelon or pineapple. The problem the veggies always go bad before I can use them all. I haven't made smoothies in over a year.  Maybe this year I'll give it another try and roast some of the veggies too.

@Mary Bailey  thanks for the hint using watermelon or pineapple with vege smoothies, appreciate.....

Valued Contributor

I love smoothies - a few years ago I lost weight drinking them in the a.m. instead of eating cereal, toast, etc.  I need to get back on them.  Here's what I did after some trial and error:

fresh baby spinach

frozen fruit - or fresh - berries any kind 

almond milk or a little diet cranberry juice

ground flaxseed - a spoonful

I also tried substituting kale (um, no) bananas (not in this one)  avocados (no - too thick and green looking), apple (too thick) 

I have also used dark grapes.

The above is what I used for a healthy smoothie.

Now if I wanted a fruity smoothie - I use frozen (or not) banana, any yogurt, pineapple, berries, frozen fruit mixes in freezer section and any juice.  

I drink my green smoothie in a container you can't see through because it looks bad.  But it's really thin and fruity.  Thick and green do not mix in my book!

Hope this helps someone!

Honored Contributor

The packets are full of sugar. I just mix up my own smoothies using frozen fruits, almond or cashew milk, yogurt plus other add ins. Here are a couple of charts I found online making smoothies with added protein. I have to have some protein or I find myself always hungry.

Protein without Protein Powder Smoothies.jpg

Protein Smoothies - Copy.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

The packets are full of sugar. I just mix up my own smoothies using frozen fruits, almond or cashew milk, yogurt plus other add ins. Here are a couple of charts I found online making smoothies with added protein. I have to have some protein or I find myself always hungry.

Protein without Protein Powder Smoothies.jpg

Protein Smoothies - Copy.jpg

Jaggery is new to me. I e never heard of it.